Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I am considering buying a home in Bayonne nj and found out

I am considering buying a home in Bayonne nj and found out that it is located near a site that was listed as having had an oil spill in 2005...
http://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2005/05_0050.htm
What are the implications of this for residents and omeowners?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question.
The main components of crude oil are hydrocarbons (HC). Of these the lower molecular weight HCs dissolve in the air and can be inhaled- these can cause respiratory problems like asthma and also affect the nerves.
Higher-molecular-weight HCs are suspected to cause nasal tumors and possibly lung cancer.
The oil spill can also affect the fish and other marine animals and enter the food chain.
In your case, the lower HCs have probably already evaporated and will not affect you. The higher molecular weight HCs can remain for quite some time, depending on the seriousness of the oil spill.
I hope this helps.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.