How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 32296
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For a few weeks I have had a small firm bump on my gum on

This answer was rated:

for a few weeks I have had a small firm bump on my gum on the inside below my back teeth. It does not hurt. Is fairly small. at times it seems to be colorless and perhaps a bit smaller or flatter. at the moment it has a small lighter color in the raised middle. almost looks like a very small canker sore but it does not hurt. does this sound like anything threatening?
Hi--so the gum itself is smooth without any break or actual crater?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would say it is raised a bit but not crater

OK--doesn't sound anything too serious but you should have a doctor look at it. Is sounds like an osteoma which is a benign growth of extra bone in the mandible that protrudes into the gums. Doesn't need any treatment but since I can't examine you you should have a doctor actually look at it
Customer: replied 4 years ago. that common?

in fact, I've had one in my left lower jaw for years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

interesting, thank you

My pleasure--any time but please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip and other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

one further question....are there other common things this might be? thanks very much

Well, potentially it could be a mucocele--a small cyst in the gum. Those usually resolve on their own but sometimes they have to be removed by an oral surgeon or an ENT
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, thank you again

My pleasure--any time