Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Over the last three months I have had redness/irritation at

Customer Question
the meatus or opening of...
Over the last three months I have had redness/irritation at the meatus or opening of the penis. Sometimes it stings badly - especially at night. It does not hurt to pee, I have not had any form of discharge, and I have been tested for all STDs - even swab culture for both G & C. All negative. I was tested positive years ago for Herpes but I've never had any kind of outbreak w/ sores. I have seen both a dermatologist and urologist. All have said it's an irritation. The urologist tested my prostrate (even did PSA) and all seemed fine. I have been on two different antibiotics and several creams (bacteria/yeast/etc..). No change! Since I've left it alone w/ no creams - it is a little better. But it has not gone away. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Health
4/7/2013
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 4 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Greetings John.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Was a mycobacterial culture done?

Were any antibiotics tried?

Dr. Arun

A culture was taken but more specifically for G & C. Both negative. That said, I have taken Fluconazole, Ciprofloxacin and then a course (10 days) of Doxycycline for bacteria. These didn't seem to relieve the symptoms (irritation/redness/stinging) at the opening.

Also several creams - Clotrimazole/Betamethasone, Nystatin nor Triamcinolone Acetonide) were not effective.

Hello John,

There are couple of suggestions;

1) Your urologist may consider a prostate massage. This secretes fluid from the penis meatus which should be sent for the;

a) Ordinary culture called as pyogenic culture.
b) Mycobacterial culture.

2) A mycobacterial culture from the meatus directly.

These should be able to establish the diagnosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Should I assume if I am not having any kind of discharge, pain urinating or blood in urine that it would rule out Urethritis. Also, can eczema cause such an irritation at the meatus (opening of the penis)? Finally, can stress cause such an irritation?

Hello John,

Stress is not likely to be responsible for the irritation. Eczema can be responsible for the meatus irritation; though it is likely to respond to betamethasone / steroid cream. Urethritis is not likely in your case, with no other symptom. Since bacterial and fungal infection is ruled out, an atypical infection like mycobacterial infection should be considered. Mycobacterium need a specific culture to establish the diagnosis.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Even though I have never had a visible herpes outbreak (noticeable sores/blisters) can herpes cause the meatus or urethra to be irritated causing the redness irritation at the opening? I have taken valtrex and would think herpes wouldn't last three months. I also understand parasitic (e coli) can cause urethritis but again I have had no discharge or pain urinating - symptoms pointing to urethritis. Just irritation/redness and stinging feeling at the opening.

[I HAVE NOT HEARD BACK ON THIS QUESTION]?

I am sorry for the delay. I was offline (I had some surgeries to perform), so could not know about your reply. I apologize for your wait.

As you mentioned, herpes lesion would not last for 3 month, though it can involve the meatus occasionally. And than herpes lesion would respond to Valtrex. E. coli infection is unlikely to cause this kind of manifestation and would have detected by the culture test. An atypical bacterial infection thus is the likely cause.
Hello John,

You rated the answer as poor service. I strive to do my best and provide utmost satisfaction for the customers coming to JustAnswer. I would be glad to answer your any further queries.

Best wishes and kindest regards

As you pointed out - your response time was very slow and not very detailed. It felt like short/quick answers. It felt like you wanted to end the session as quickly as possible.

John,

We many times are unable to be online for various reasons (like professional work etc). So some delay may happen. I really am sorry about it. But I never wanted the session to end quickly. I can understand you have a difficult medication question which has not responded. So other uncommon diagnosis should be thought of by your doctor. I wish you a very fast and early recovery.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)