Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I've been having stomach pains for a week. I had a fever

I've been having stomach pains for a week. I had a fever with vomiting for approx the first 24 hrs. The symptoms are; knawing, cramping, nausea which has not subsided, especially the knawing pain. The pain varies in the location of the abdomen. I do have occasional burping and gas. I do have diarrehea, however I do have IBS so I am not sure if it is the IBS or the current stomach issue. I do have a high threshold of pain so I have not gone to see a clinic (as I do not have medical insurance, at this time) and can't afford to see my general physician.
Any ideas?
Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

How many times do you pass stool now?

Dr. Saha :

How is the stool character?

Dr. Saha :

Please type your reply.

Customer:

I have had approximately 3 to 4 bowel movements today, which were loose. Yesterday the same. The first day I only vomited with no bowel movement which is unusal for me because of my IBS. My stomach is bloated.

Dr. Saha :

IBS can cause pain, diarrhea.

Dr. Saha :

But when it has started with fever, vomiting it is likely to be due to an infection.

Dr. Saha :

Commonly it is either bacterial or viral.

Dr. Saha :

Viral diarrhea which is commoner usually gets better by in a week.

Dr. Saha :

When the symptoms are continuing, I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.

Dr. Saha :

A stool test would be helpful.

Dr. Saha :

Please take bland diet, adequate fluid, oral rehydration solution to keep good hydration.

Dr. Saha :

Rice, banana & toast can be taken.

Dr. Saha :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

Customer:

Yes, I am aware of IBS causing these symptoms. However, as you stated I feel it is either bacterial or viral. The knawing and constant pain is what I am concerned about. How long should I wait b/f I seek medical attention. Could it be an ulcer which would most likely require an antib?

Dr. Saha :

You can seek medical attention now.

Dr. Saha :

You can need antibiotics.

Dr. Saha :

Peptic ulcer usually causes pain in upper stomach. But your pain varies in location.

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** I will do so. The symptoms have continued since Sunday night and it is affecting my daily activities and I am unable to get adequate rest.

Dr. Saha :

You are always welcome.

Dr. Saha :

Yes, you need to take an examination by doctor.

Dr. Saha :

If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating..

Dr. Saha :

Best wishes.

Customer:

Yes, the pain has varied in location, upper and lower abdomen, however the pain is primarily in the upper area and it does feel as it is in the throat area, also.

Customer:

The abdomen also is painful when I palpate,

Customer:

The abdomen is tender to the touch, also.

Dr. Saha :

It suggests that the inflammation is going on.

Dr. Saha :

Then you should not delay in seeking medical help.

Customer:

I agree, thank you Dr. and I will seek attention.

Dr. Saha :

You are again welcome.

Dr. Saha :

If you have any further query, please feel free to ask.