How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Josh Your Own Question
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 5190
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Josh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have pain in my right knee since an year. It just got recently

This answer was rated:

I have pain in my right knee since an year. It just got recently bad that i can feel it with in the first hour after i wake up from bed. Is there any support that i can wear to keep me going? I do not need anything like the one we wear for sports but something just to keep me comfortable.

I am going for an MRI in few weeks and will know more about what has gone bad.

please advice.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?
Any noticeable swelling on knee?
Do you have pain in other body joints?
Have you tried any medications?
Any other health or medical problems


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On a scale of 1-10 it is at level 4.

No noticable swelling

No other body joint pains

have not tried any medications

i do have neck pain and have been told by the doc that i may have hernia.

Thanks for all these additional details.I am sorry to hear about your problems.
Sorry for the delay in answering. I was on another question. I apologize for your wait.

The most common cause is- Arthritis, knee joint is most commonly involved joint in rheumatic diseases.It can be Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis.To make a diagnose you require blood test for RA factor, and X-ray of knee joint. One other possibility is of Tendinitis , this is inflammation of the tendon.

Tendinitis, is the inflammation of the tendon in knee. Medical name for this condition is Patellar tendinitis.
This condition is treated with Ice packs,rest and anti inflammatory medications.
You should take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like - Short wave diathermy, Infra red , Wax therapy ,these will help you a lot.

Also exercise programs can rehabilitate the tissues in and around the involved tendon. Along with this Cortisone injections are helpful for this condition.
Your doctor can prescribe Anti-inflammatory pills along with steroid injections/ drugs to treat the condition.

You can use knee bands on knee as it would help knee in supporting your weight and will slow down the process.
You need to strengthen the muscles of your calf and leg so that the knees are supported much ably by them.
You can apply Voltaren gel topically once daily before sleeping.
You can also use Arch supports, these can help to shift pressure away from the side of the knee. There are different types of braces may be used to help protect and support the knee joint, it would be comfortable and can be used with routine activities.

Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management. Please get MRI done, on scheduled date.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Dr. Josh and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you