Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Female 44yrs old. I had a GGT 47 (Range 0-32u/L) at the end

Female 44yrs old. I had a...
Female 44yrs old.
I had a GGT 47 (Range 0-32u/L) at the end of January, I have repeated blood test and now GGT 43 (Range 0-40u/L) last week.
All other LFTs were in normal range?
Is this an improvement?
How long before I can expect it to return to normal (in the range specified by the test?)
4/3/2013
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Greetings Jazzt.

This would be considered an improvement and with the same rate, in next two to three months, this should fall back to normal. As a matter of fact, your GGT rise was clinically insignificant.

The following points will clear the raise in your liver enzymes;

1) The liver function tests may be abnormal even in patients with a healthy liver.

2) Studies evaluating the clinical significance of these abnormalities have demonstrated that serious underlying liver disease is uncommon in most of the individuals.

3) Just this level of enzyme elevation is found in almost 10% of cases without any disease.

4) Only a persistent increase of two fold for three months (tests repeated at three monthly interval) will need further studies.

5) The other causes should be observed if there is no history of any medications, alcohol abuse and investigation for hepatitis B and C are normal and there are no medical evidence of the following diseases (which can elevate these enzymes); muscle disorders, thyroid disorders, celiac disease, adrenal insufficiency and anorexia nervosa.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.

As a matter of fact, your GGT rise was clinically insignificant - I don't understand what this means?

Hello Jazzt,

Unless the rise is more than 100 for more than two months, than only it would be considered as clinically significant. This means that your rise is not a pointer to any disease and can be just a rise without any pathological (abnormal) process. I would not be worried at all.

It is privilege assisting you.

Sorry I still don't understand - why do you talk about a rise when the ggt value dropped from 47 to 43U/L and stated that it was an improvement. I appreciate the ranges in the two tests are different.

Should I get it tested in 2 months again?

I apologize. I was talking about the first initial rise which was very mild. Since it has improved, it is good. But as a matter of fact, even first rise was nothing significant. So the present level, obviously is nothing of importance. I would not advice for a retesting usually, unless there are any symptoms (like abdominal pain, nausea) or one drinks excessive alcohol.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Thank you very much for your help. And definitely no alcohol!!

You are very welcome,

Good luck.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)