Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have Hepatitis C, 1b. I have read several different

I have Hepatitis C, 1b. I have read several different conclusions about transmission of Hep C through sex. My doctor believes almost all cases are due to household contamination. My (long ago) therapist did a study on transmission through sex and concluded that it was easier than most people think. What is your take on it?
Hi--household contamination? Are you asking whether it's fairly common to contract hep c through sex?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My doctor told me that most cases that are attributed to sexual transmission are probably caused by sharing toothbrushes or razors without being aware of it (I believe he called it "household contamination" but I could be misremembering). So, yes, I am asking how common it is to contract hep c through vaginal or oral sex.

Thank you.

OK--the chances of contacting hep C through oral sex is probably zero and through vaginal sex it's very low but possible. The virus only lives for at most three to four days outside the body and it really takes contact with the infected person's blood to contract it, so it can be contracted from razors and from toothbrushes if those are shared. The most common means of transmission are from blood transfusions and needle sharing among drug users. Here's a link to more information from the CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cfaq.htm#cFAQ34
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you suggest condom use in a monogamous relationship when one of the people has Hep C?

if you want to have a minimum risk of transferring the virus