Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I slipped on some ice while exiting my vehicle and somehow

Customer Question

I slipped on some ice while exiting my vehicle and somehow caught my left side on the car door. Although I am not having trouble breathing, I am in a significant amount of discomfort. I've heard that there isn't much that can be done to treat a rib injury, but not sure if I should use heat or ice to treat the injury. The pain is terrible.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 4 years ago.

Associated swelling,redness on ribcage?

Any visible bruising?

Pain in chest during deep breathing?

When did this incident happened?

Are you taking any medications?

Any medical history?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is slghtly swollwn and beginning to bruise. There is no deep chest pain with breathing. I am very stiff and it hurts to laugh, cough, move, bend..just about everything. This happened on Monday morning. I do not take any medications and have no medical history.

Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as it is bruising and pain is unbearable so in my opinion,you shouldn't ignore your symptoms and a clinical examination by your regular doctor and further chest x-ray to rule out rib fracture at first place.

Other possible cause may include Intercostal muscle strain.

Apply an ice pack 20 minutes of every hour for the first 2 days.

You may need prescription pain medicines (narcotics) to keep your pain under control

For pain, you can take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin).

Having said this,consult your doctor or visit ER ASAP for prompt management.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.