Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

We have been very sick for the last month, many different

Customer Question

We have been very sick for the last month, many different issues. My kids doctor suggested we may have black mold so we hired a mold investigator, he found mold and fecies possible sewage leak under the house. What kind of issue can we be facing, and how long will it take for us to be over the symptoms?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question.
- What symptoms do you have?
- How old are your children - do they have symptooms different from yours?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have 6 childrenages are 3,6,8,10,11,11 all of our symptoms are about the same. Explosive diareah, vomitting, neasuea, headaches, tired alot, coughing, bad allergy like symptoms, the kids have had to have breating treatments, my son and i have been having nose bleeds and my oldest has beed having bad mood swings and hallusinations
Heather,
Mold can cause breathing problems while pollution of the water by feces can cause intestinal infection and symptoms like vomiting diarrhea etc.
The breathing problems will clear up within 7-10 days of the mold being cleaned. But for the intestinal symptoms to clear up, you will need to get stool tests to identify what organisms are causing the infection. You may need to take antibiotics.
Mood swings will not be caused by either mold or feces but are more likely to be due to stress from these issues.
please consult a doctor for stool tests - till then you can take Immodium for the diarrhea. You should also be careful to prevent dehydration by drinking enough fluids.
I hope this helps.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.