How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Anil Your Own Question
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 9398
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Anil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a cough that lasted 7 days. Now I have a pain on my

This answer was rated:

I had a cough that lasted 7 days. Now I have a pain on my right side on my ribcage. Should I be concerned?It hurts to touch or breath heavy.


Associated fever,shortness of breath?

Associated sore throat,stuffy nose?

Phlegm at back of throat?

Are you taking any medications?

Is pain dull or severe?


Bloating and flatulence?

Are you overweight?

Alcohol and smoking?

Pain in upper right side of abdomen?

Any other medical history?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No fever, no shortness of breath.

I did not have a sore throat. I did have a stuffy nose. I had a cough for a week.

I did have Phlegm, but it is gone.

No medications

The pain is medium. I can deal with it.

Slight nausea, no vomiting.

No bloatinng, no flatulence.

I'm not overweight, I weigh 135 lbs. I'm 5"2

I drink and smoke occasionally.

Pain is in upper right side of abdomen on the rib cage.

No significant medical history

Thanks for providing more information.

Well most of the upper respiratory tract infections are caused by viruses and subside by their own in 7-10 days and sometimes cough can linger for few more days.

Even violent cough can cause strain in chest intercostal muscles resulting in pain.

Now as you have dull pain in chest with cough,deep breathing so possible cause may include Bronchitis,Pleuritis.

And you need to undergo chest X-ray,CBC,ESR and a clinical examination,chest auscultation by your regular doctor.

In the meantime you should take OTC Claritin and Motrin.

Do steam inhalation and saline gargles.

Take OTC Robitussin DM.

If your symptoms'll persist for next 2 days or get worse over the time then you should consult regular doctor for further evaluation and management.

If in case you develop severe pain in chest,upper right abdomen,shortness of breath then visit ER.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil and other Health Specialists are ready to help you