Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been coughing up a heavy, thick green phlegm for 5 days now and lost my voice. What can this be?

I have been coughing up...
I have been coughing up a heavy , thick green phlegm for 5 days now. I have also lost my voice or my voice has remained very hoarse.i a also have been blowing my nose and continue to have same green mucus from my nostrils. Sleeping with somewhat of a nite sweat periodically. In these last 48 hours, I've also n noticed blood in my nose after blowing
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2013
Robert Fernando
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Do you have associate fever or chills?
Do you have chest pain or breathing discomfort?
Have you tried any medications?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
No, no, no, & maybe. I BELIEVE that i have Lupus, however it's Bergen very difficult to get my doctor at a local clinic to agree
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
Having green sputum can be indicative of bronchitis, and other lung infections. Green phlegm can occur with bacterial infection and should be checked by doctor at the earliest.
The most common cause for streaks of blood from nose is bronchitis. Usually they are viral in nature. It is possible that you had a viral infection which then developed a bacterial superinfection.
You may need a course of antibiotics.
To make a diagnose, blood work should be done to check for infection. Along chest x-ray should be done.
Also a throat swab or a rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection.
You should take decongestant like pseudo ephedrine hydrochloride, this would reduce the swelling of the mucous membranes in the nose. Don't use them more then 5 days.
For relief from body ache take tab.Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day.
Take tab.sudafed(oral decongestant tablet).Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.
Your symptoms doesn't indicate towards Lupus, please don't take stress for such serious issue.
You need immediate clinical examination and need treatment at the earliest.
I advise that you should not delay and rush to ER ASAP for prompt treatment.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
I should clarify. I do not believe my symptoms are due to Lupus. I fully understand my "symptoms" that are Lupus related, after all i am the one who suffers in frustration of a dieses so difficult to diagnos. My concern is with the amount off heavy green phlegm my body is exuding, the length off time & what was it's cause
Christine, Thanks for asking follow up question.
Green phlegm is due to Bronchitis, Bronchiectasis.
Coughing up of such green mucous indicates bacterial chest infection.
It can occur due to inflammation of airways (bronchial tubes), this can cause further congestion.
You need to undergo-
-A chest x-ray
-Blood work.
For the time, you can use cough expectorant like guaifenesin which promotes drainage of mucus from the lungs by thinning the mucus, and clear the lungs.
I advise that you should not delay and rush to ER ASAP for prompt treatment. A course of antibiotics is necessary for relief.
Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor