Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

What can I do to control bad dandruff naturally?

What can I do to...
3/28/2013
Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
medtech254 :

Hello I will be assisting you today. Give me a few moments.

Customer:

ok

medtech254 :

What have you tried so far and has anything given any positive effects?

Customer:

i have tried almost all the anti dandruff shampoo out there, from trese- tar to selson blue ( with or without microbeads), to head and shoulders

medtech254 :

You can use salicylic acid which works as a sort of scrub to slough off dead skin or ketoconazole which works against a broad array of fungi. Also, quite effective is a coal tar solution that like salicylic acid causes the dead skin to slough off (it's the stuff that causes tingling when you use it).

medtech254 :

Often the amount in the shampoos are very low and a higher percent may help.

medtech254 :

I am pretty sure you can still get coal tar in the pharmacy and I know you can get salicylic acid.

medtech254 :

Also

medtech254 :

You need to make sure you are taking plenty of potassium.

Customer:

many type even a cmbination of them

Customer:

i have use coal tar, salicyclic acid, i take potassium daily, omega 3,6,9 and a multi vitatim

medtech254 :

Ok, and those did not help?

Customer:

i have used slicyclic or tar followed by a ketoconzaole and it didn't help

medtech254 :

So none of these have even decreased the dandruff concentration?

Customer:

not much, i have to find away to make sure it doesn't show up on my uniform

medtech254 :

Oh I see. Have you had this a long time?

Customer:

yes

medtech254 :

The severity of dandruff may fluctuate with season as it often worsens in winter. The normal treatment includes keratolytic agents such as salicylic acid and sulphur to loosen the attachments between the corneocytes and allow them to get swiped off.

medtech254 :

Have you tried sulfur?

medtech254 :

It is nasty smelly stuff but works well. I use a combination of coal tar and sulfur on one of my dogs with severe flaking dandruff.

Customer:

i think i have

medtech254 :

What I would suggest since you are limited on what has not been tried is a combination of coal tar, sulfur, and salicylic acid. Let me see if I can get a mix for it.

Customer:

ok

medtech254 :

I've got one somewhere in my files. I've got to run out for a few minutes. When I get back I will post it here and the system will notify you. Is that ok?

Customer:

okay

medtech254 :

oK, i'LL BE BACK.

medtech254 :

Oops

Customer:

ok

Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today. I have helped you before with this question and I see you are still having problems. There may not be a cure for dandruff in your case -depends on what is the cause and it doesn't seem a cause has been identified yet. Causes can range from a yeast on the skin and stress, fatigue, oily skin, and genetics. Treatment includes making sure you wash off all soap, and wash the area that is flaky every day. Over the counter shampoos are good but when they don't work, you may need a prescription strength or even a steroid application of lotion or cream. So, by figuring out what works best and using it daily will help keep the dandruff under control to the point that you may not even notice it as bad.

Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)