Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am having a workup done for Hereditary Angioedema. My

Compliment CH50 Came back elevated...
I am having a workup done for Hereditary Angioedema. My Compliment CH50 Came back elevated at 65 with the refereence range 22-60.. All the other results were in normal range C1,2,3... I was medicated at the time of these tests. Does this mean I do not have the disease?
3/22/2013
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Have you undergone other blood work like CBC,ESR,IgM,CRP,IgE?

What are your current symptoms?

Yes, all within normal range.

My current symptoms consist of systemic hives, and angioedema of the face.

I am under the impression the dx of this disease is very complex and often over looked.

Thanks for providing more information.

A high count on the CH50 test means that your total complement system (part of the immune system) is hyperactive that goes along with an overactive immune disease and increased in infection.

Typically, other tests that are more specific for the suspected disease are performed first. C3 and C4 are the most commonly measured complement components.

And as C3 and C4 are normal in your case so slightly raised CH50 is not significant.

However usually low levels of CH50 are seen in Hereditary angioedema.

The increase or decrease in the complement levels assessed by the Complement CH50 test is not always an accurate indicator of what the exact problem is.

However, this test enables a doctor to determine if the immune system is involved with the ailment in any way.

So further a clinical corelation is required in your case.

I suggest you to consult your doctor as well.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Does this mean it is strictly an allergy?

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

High CH50 levels itself doesn't indicate allergy.

However as per your description and current symptoms,allergy can be a possible cause.

So discuss it with your doctor as well.

I hope this helps.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician