Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I am feeling very weak and sickly lately. I felt fine for

Customer Question
Hi, I am feeling very...
Hi, I am feeling very weak and sickly lately. I felt fine for the last two weeks but before that I felt the same way for a while. I am also having excessive thirst. Could this be caused by a high calcium level? When I've had my blood checked my calcium is slightly high. My vitamin D was almost low so I've been taking vitamin D supplements, could that have made my calcium higher?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Health
3/20/2013
Health Professional: Robert Fernando, Doctor replied 4 years ago
Robert Fernando
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
Have you got checked blood sugar levels?
For how long you have been taking vitamin D Supplements?
What is your present blood calcium level?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

My blood sugar is always normal but I have symptoms similar to hypoglycemia or reactive hypoglycemia. I feel really faint if I don't eat every two hours or so.

I've been taking the vitamin D supplements since around November.

My calcium level has been slightly high for a while... at first it was 10.4, at one point it was 11.1, in December it was 10.1, I'm not sure what it is right now

I have been to doctors but none have been able to figure out my symptoms.

Dear Lindsay, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
A medical condition called Hypercalcemia occurs when calcium level in your blood is above normal.Excessive use of calcium and vitamin D supplements would result in high calcium levels. In your case, use of vitamin D supplements have raised calcium levels.
Normal values for calcium levels range from 8.5 to 10.2 mg/dL. Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. In your case, last value was 10.1 , this is still on the border of normal range.
Yes, in your case Vitamin D supplements have resulted in raised calcium levels.
Hypercalcemia may result in Excessive thirst, Lethargy and fatigue, Muscle weakness, Loss of appetite.
There are few tests, which should be carried out for evaluation of cause. These are-
-Thyroid hormone test
-Vitamin B test
-Liver and Kidney function test
You need to get these blood tests done. Once you get blood work done, accordingly line of treatment has to be selected. I suggest that you should discuss these tests with your doctor and get it managed.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Well, the calcium levels have been raised since before I started taking the vitamin D.

With hypercalcemia would it be normal to feel better for a while and then feel worse again?

Lindsay, I understand your concern and worry for such symptoms.
Overproduction of parathyroid hormone, is the most common cause for Elevated Calcium Levels in women.
Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) levels must be measured.
Kidney disease should also be checked. So you should get kidney function test.
Thyroid disease, such as hypothyroidism has also be checked.
In studies, it was found that 80% of patients whose blood calcium levels are found to be high more than once have some form of primary hyperparathyroidism.
Yes, patient may feel normal, for a while and then raised levels would cause such repeat of symptoms.
You should consult a Endocrinologist for evaluation and get it managed.

I had my parathyroid checked and they said it was normal but I didn't see what the level was.

It seems like my calcium levels have stayed steady and even declined a little recently, does this mean it's probably nothing really serious?

I have had my kidneys checked Another thing I've had has been slightly high albumin levels in my blood, what could this be?

Here is how my symptoms have progressed... in April of last year I got a viral illness, and then haven't felt the same since. I recovered but then started getting dizzy spells and nausea and vomiting, and was getting sick every morning. I also stayed dizzy and lightheaded. Then I started having the constant need to eat. I was feeling better for a while besides the constant hunger but lately I have been feeling bad again... at the end of February I felt horrible for about a week, then started feeling better for two weeks, now feel horrible again.

Health Professional: Chris C., Nurse replied 4 years ago
Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
High albumin levels in blood is called hyperalbuminemia in medical terms. There are various disorders that can cause high blood albumin levels. These conditions include:

Tuberculosis
Hepatitis
HIV

These conditions affect the immune system of the body, causing the protein levels in the body to increase. People suffering from chronic inflammation, severe infection, etc. may also show hyperalbuminemia in serum. It may also mean, a person may be suffering from an abnormal swelling, immune system disorder, cancer, malnutrition, liver disorder and kidney disorder.

It may also be seen in different conditions mainly dehydration. A severe or chronic case of dehydration shows high protein levels in blood. Other conditions include:

Congenital disorders
Poor utilization of proteins in blood
Congestive heart failure
Glucocorticoid excess due to overdose of cortisone medications, overproduction of cortisol by adrenal gland or a tumor within the body that produces extra cortisol like substances in the body

Okay. I was tested for HIV and hepatitis and I have had a tuberculosis test in the past and don't have any symptoms of it presently, and I'm only 22 so I don't think I have congestive heart failure or anything like that. Could chronic stress/anxiety cause extra cortisol to cause this? Also, is the calcium level of 10.1-11.1 (it has fluctuated) high enough to cause symptoms?

Chronis stress does increase cortisol levels.

The long-term activation of the stress-response system — and the subsequent overexposure to cortisol and other stress hormones — can disrupt almost all your body's processes. This puts you at increased risk of numerous health problems, including:

• Heart disease
  • Sleep problems
  • Digestive problems
  • Depression
  • Obesity
  • Memory impairment
  • Worsening of skin conditions, such as eczema

That's why it's so important to learn healthy ways to cope with the stressors in your life.

Okay well I was hoping for a custom answer rather than stuff copied and pasted from the internet. Thanks anyway.

You asked about cortisol levels and the above post indicates the potential symptoms of this increased level when caused by your chronic stress. It sounds like you have lots going on with all the symptoms you have stated in this and your other questions. I would think from all of these problem your stress level must be quite high and so your cortisol level would be very high as well.

Well I was also wanting to know if too much cortisol could cause high calcium and high albumin because I don't have any of the other possible causes.

Elevated cortisol levels actually reduce the uptake of calcium in the intestinal tract and greatly weakens the immune system. So no cortisol would not cause the increased calcium levels. Albumin binds circulating glucocorticoids such as cortisol and consequently may modify the biological activity of these steroids by altering access to target cells. This would increase the negative feedback effect of cortisol. So it would increase the symptoms of excessive cortisol.

I would get the egd done as was discussed previously and then go from there. Without these results it is hard to narrow down the exact cause of your problem.

Did you get a GGT done for reactive hypoglycemia? I see that the tsh was low in January. have you have this rechecked since then?

I see left a bad service negative mark did you intend to do that prior to finishing the Q&A session? Experts do not get credit unless ok service or better is used and their percents are harmed greatly from these marks.

Sorry, I will give a better rating, I just felt that most of the info I was getting was copied and pasted from sources I could've looked up myself.

My TSH was 0.71 in January, 0.34 in December so it seems to be getting more normal. My free T4 went from 1.4 to 1.14 too. I haven't gotten a glucose tolerance test.

Since my calcium level has remained the same and was lower last time it was checked is it probably nothing serious? It seems like most causes of high calcium are pretty serious things so it has kind of worried me.

Most causes of high calcium are serious but this can also be a result of overconsumption of vitamins supplements. Since the calcium levels and tsh, t3, and t4 are leveling out more toward a normal level these are likely not the cause of your symptoms. I would discuss the gtt and a possible egd with your primary care physician and so how they want to procede.

Okay. I have not been taking a lot of calcium supplements so I don't think that's it. So is a stable slightly high calcium level probably nothing?

A slightly high calcium level is not a big concern. If you have an excessive level and it stayed that way there would be a concern.

Okay, thanks. I have had a lot of chronic stress/anxiety. Is there any way that could make me feel this bad? Like the weakness and feeling like I have a flu?

chronic stress can cause both weakness and flu like symptoms. Stress also lowers the bodies immune system and makes you more prone to getting infections.
Were you able to read my replies?
Chris C.
Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse