How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vakul Aren Your Own Question
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4000
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Vakul Aren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a recent diagnosis of elevated CK levels in averaging

This answer was rated:

I had a recent diagnosis of elevated CK levels in averaging between 350-550, and have stabilized within that range. I do not take Statins or Niacin, and it has been over 2 months now. A CK, Total + Isoenzymes, Serum was conducted, and Myostosis, including autoimmune myostosis, polymyostosis, malignancy-associated dermatomysitis, and drug-induced myostosis are the possibilities. Should I go to a Rheumotoidologist, Neurologit, or have a muscle biopsy performed?

The value of 350-550 for CK is elevated but not very high.The possible causes would include hard physical work,muscle injury,Hypothyroidism and hypoparathyroidism,muscular dystrophy like limb-Girdle muscular dystrophy,hereditary myopathy,viral infections,alcoholism,autoimmune diseases like polymyositis and dermatomyositis ,secondary to certain drugslike steroids/colchicine/verapamil and idiopathic .It would help if you are examined by a Rheumatologist and a Neurologist and a Muscle biopsy and EMG is performed along with lab tests to rule out endocrine causes and drug induced elevation of CK.Autoimmune diseases would also need to be ruled out

Vakul Aren and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you