How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Charles Your Own Question
Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 7192
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Charles is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been experiencing back pain for over a year now. The

This answer was rated:

I have been experiencing back pain for over a year now. The pain has initially started when I had a weight in my hand while laying, then i sat up. since then i have been to two chiros, two orthopedic surgeons, and two physical therapists. I have had two mris on 7 months ago which showed a minor bulge (2mm), and one a month ago that showed a normal back. Ive had a nerve test which showed a a pinched nerve at l5. I am a 25 year old male at 135lb and need a way to get over the pain. Both doctors have not had an answer for me and had me try multiple drugs and therapy. Nothing works, I have really bad lower back pain that shoots down my entire right leg.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:
Were you prescribed with any shots(injections)?
What is the severity of pain on scale of 1-10?
Any other known medical illness?
I am online and is waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, no shots. The pain comes and goes, today its around 6.5 and my entire right leg goes numb. No other known medical illness, however my brother was just diagnosed for chrones disease and the doctor is sending me for a blood test because I sometimes have digestive issues.

Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:
The symptoms you have described suggests the possibility of nerve root compression.Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings.Thats why you are having pain/numbness in entire right leg.
Non surgical treatment options are:Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs),Cold therapy, heat therapy or both,Oral Steroid Medications,Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) delivers a tiny electrical current to key points on a nerve pathway,Epidural Steroid Injections.Injections of cortisone can be administered directly in the area of nerve compression.
Your doctor may advice you to wear a back brace or corset for a short time to increase your comfort and help you to regain mobility.
If still the symptoms/pain/numbness persists,then surgery is the option.Surgical procedures may involve removal of bone and disk tissue or may remove bone spurs or disk material (decompression) and provide lasting pain relief.
So I advice you to consult your doctor for the epidural shots directly at the site of pain &/or TENS treatment & surgical option accordingly.
Hope this helped
Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.
Thank you for using just answer website.
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Both MRI's indicated there was no compression in the spinal column, thats what both doctors thought it was at first but the two MRIs showed that was not the case.

Dear customer,
I have seen that you have rated my answer as poor service.
My main motive is your 100% satisfaction & our conversation will remain open till you are satisfied.So please use reply tab so that I can answer you accordingly.
Nerve root compression cannot be detected in the MRI scan.Only degeneration & herniated disc can be diagnosed with radiological testing.
To see the nerve root compression you need following tests:
-Nerve conduction studies,
-Electro physiological studies
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)
These tests are done by neurologist.So I advice you to consult a neurologist for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped
My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.
Thank you for using just answer website.
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Dr. Charles and 6 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Hi JA customer,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Have you consulted your doctor?
Was nerve function test done?
Is there anything else that I can help you out?
Let me know,