Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

Do you know what this could be I noticed it on my leg the

Hi do you know what this could be I noticed it on my leg the other day while on vacation it's four inches above my knee I have attached a link http://flic.kr/p/e1i9Zb
The link to photo http://flic.kr/p/e1i9Zb
It itched for about 30 seconds when I was at a water park then it stopped itching after I noticed it, it has not itched today just still visible
Welcome back to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.
Thanks for providing clear image.
It sounds to be a Benign Mole. Usually a mole is often brown, but it can be tan, black, red. It occurs when cells in the skin- melanocytes, grow in clusters or clumps with tissue surrounding them.
Most of the moles are harmless and don't cause any problems.Your doctor may suggest a biopsy of your mole. Further they would send biopsy to a laboratory for testing to determine the type of cells and if these are benign (not cancerous) or cancerous.
Benign moles can be left alone, and may not need any treatment.
I hope this helps.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Can moles just appear like this I've not noticed before just the other day?
When I was at the water park applying sun cream when I first noticed it I do have some body freckles but not a slightly raised one like this
Once do you think it's serious or needs urgent investigation
Kevin, I understand your concern and worry for such symptoms.
Moles can appear due to amount of sun we are exposed, the genes we inherit from our parents. The more sun one gets, the higher the risk of moles in that area. Moles may be raised, slightly raised, or completely flat.
Yes, it can appear just like that all of a sudden. Actually process of mole development is long, but it may not be visible to us.
As such most likely this is mild and is not indicative of any serious issue.
If you have associated itching, pain, size goes on increasing, then please get it checked right away.
I hope this helps.