Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I'm have issues with palpitations while walking and running.

I'm have issues with palpitations while walking and running. Sometimes I will get a heart heart beat feeling, other times a squeeze or "pause" feeling. No real pain, but there's certainly an uncomfortable sensation associated with it. The problem is that this can happen several times in a minute while running or walking -- which in turn makes my body involuntarily panic, which I imagine only makes the issue worse.
I've had palpitations off an on for a long time now, associated with what was assumed to be lyme disease. They're now much less frequent as of late, except when I run or walk.
If I lift or do pushups or anything like that, I feel nothing, even when my heart rate is fast. It's only running or walking after a period of ten minutes or so, and it happens I'd say 3/4 of the time.
My doctor ordered me a stress echo which came back negative. Of course on the day of the test I had no skips -- so, I'm not exactly sure what the palpitations are, and there does seem to be a couple of different ones in terms of the way they feel.
Should I assume these are benign? Can I keep going while exercising?
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Are you taking any medications?
Any other health or medical problems
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I had issues with anxiety when I was sick with lyme, but that was resolved some time ago.
I currently take no medications.
No medical problems I am aware of.

To clarify in my question I meant to say a "hard heart beat feeling." I made some typos above.

Thanks for all these additional details. I am sorry to hear about your problems.
Such palpitations are caused by an anxiety condition however, it is always a good idea,to consult a cardiologist to be evaluated and rule out any heart condition or heart rhythm problem( heart arrhythmia ).
The doctor will need to perform some tests, like an EKG,a chest
X-ray, electrolyte blood tests and Thyroid hormones test.
You should avoid consumption of stimulants like Caffeine before waling/running. You should practice yoga and meditation for relaxation, Deep breathing exercises will help you.
One should avoid caffeine, alcohol. Take healthy and well balanced diet. You should avoid smoking, and if you are overweight, then try to loose your weight.Keep yourself busy in your hobbies.
You should take frequent break between long exercise schedule hours.
Most likely these are benign and doesn't indicate towards any serious issue. However it would be best to get to get it clinically evaluated from your doctor.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not consume any caffeine at all (I should have mentioned that). I also had a stress/echo test and an ekg, both were negative. My palpitations seem to be only associated with exercise, is that normal? Is it safe to continue even if I have them in large numbers (10 a minute or so)? When are palpitations dangerous?
Dear Chad, Thanks for asking further follow up question.
It is good to hear that you don't take caffeine. As you have already gone for EKG, Stress and Echo test so i would not panic for serious issue like heart disease.
However i would suggest that you should get Electrolyte levels and Thyroid hormones test, as this can also cause palpitations.
Yes, there have many patients, who get palpitation only at time of exercise. You should reduce your stress levels by using relaxation techniques and moderating the level of exercise you do.
The serious symptoms with palpitations are- Fainting,Severe shortness of breath, Severe dizziness. Such symptoms are dangerous and should be immediately evaluated by doctor.
In your case, these are benign and doesn't indicate towards serious issue like heart disease.