Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Can zyrtec cause a false positive on a drug test for opiates

can zyrtec cause a false positive on a drug test for opiates or alcohol?
Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : No, Zyrtec would not cause a false positive for either opiates or alcohol. You may use this product without concern in this regard.
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you !
Anthony Bray MD : Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD

Thank you for your question:

There are a number of things that can cause false positive screening drug tests for opiates including dextromethorphan (a cough medicine), diphendyramine (Benadryl), Quinine (found in small amounts in tonic water) and poppy seeds.

Poppy seeds in foods (muffins, pastries etc) can cause a positive opiate drug test. Medical review officers use specific criteria to help determine if a positive opiate test is the result of opiate use/abuse OR possibly related to intake of poppy seeds.

For the other causes of positive tests, confirmation testing with GC/MS will not be positive. It is only the screening immunoassay tests that will be positive.

I hope this additional information has been helpful.

Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years