Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure 2-3 years ago

I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure 2-3 years ago and I have been on Cozaar for the last 2 years and it has successfully maintained my blood pressure at a normal reading....until now. I have been taking it the last 2 weeks or so and my readings have been very high (in the 150s/100s...highest reading being 166/117..). My doctor just added another medicine to my cocktail, Edarbi 40mg, to see if that helps and it hasn't. She said to give it a few days and then take 80mg of it and it's still not working. The top number is ***** down to the 130-140s but the bottom number is ***** over 100. Is there anything that might be preventing that bottom number to come down also? Is it possible for your body to become immune to a medication over a period of time?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

When the bottom number (diastolic blood pressure) is remaining high it may be a sign of arterial stiffness

Dr Brims :

This usually requires higher doses of drugs like Cozaar or Edarbi

Dr Brims :

It should decrease with time, but if it remains high you should have a test called a renal ultrasound

Customer:

Okay. Should I call my doctor then by Monday if it is still like this?

Customer:

How much "time" should it take to decrease?

Dr Brims :

You shoul call him if it is still high 3 days after increasing it to 80 mg

Dr Brims :

should*

Customer:

Sounds good. Since I started taking the 80mg this morning then Monday would be about 3 days. I will call then if no change has occured by then. Thank you for your help!

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome