Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I keep getting this feeling in my feet like a pin is poking

them. It's not like...
I keep getting this feeling in my feet like a pin is poking them. It's not like they are asleep, but rather like just a single poke....Sometimes I won't feel it again for hours, other times only a few mins away.
I just got a complete blood test less than 2 months ago and everything was perfectly normal, any suggestion on what the symptom could be???
2/27/2013
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Do you have pin pricking sensation in sole of feet?

Associated burning,tingling sensation in feet?

History of Diabetes,hypertension?

Any visible swelling,redness on affected area?

What is your occupation?

Duration of symptoms?

Are you taking any medicines?

Alcohol consumption?

The Pin Pricking is a single prick either in the toes or the bottom of my feet.

There is no burning, tingling in association.

There is no history of Diabetes in my family...I am on Blood Pressure medicine, but my blood pressure has been good since on the medicine.

Im self-employed......

The symptoms will last a second and may not come back for hours or sometimes in just a few mins...it literally feels like I was poked with a pin....it's not like the pin sensation stays or continues but rather a poke and gone...sometimes it's pretty hard.

Im just on blood pressure medicine and I recently starting seeing a nutrionalist and he has me on different types of vitamins and minerals

I do consume alcohol a few times a week!

Are you still there?

Thanks for providing more information.

As per your description,possibly such intermittent pin pricking sensation in feet can be caused due to nerve irritation in it's path.

And you may feel such symptoms at certain position.

So you should do massage with muscle relaxant ointment on affected area.

Try OTC Advil which can relieve any sort of inflammation around nerves.

You can soak your feet in warm water for 5-10 minutes.

Avoid alcohol.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of water.

Do stretching exercises.

Physical therapy can be effective.

Do regular exercises.

Elevate your legs.

Avoid prolonged hours of sitting in same position.

Other potential differential diagnosis may include peripheral neuropathy.

If your symptoms'll persist then consult your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician

Does this sound like Diabetes or anything to be super concerned about.....I do sit alot at my job.....and I do have alittle pain in my lower back, could it be that I need an adjustment???

Thanks for the follow-up.

As you have lower back pain so possibly you have nerve compression at lumbosacral spine resulting in Lumbar radiculopathy.

So you need to undergo X-ray/MRI of lumbosacral spine.

You have history of prolonged hours of sitting so it is an aggravating factor.

You should take short breaks.

And do stretching.

Diabetes can also cause such symptoms however in chronic cases of uncontrolled blood sugar levels.

So in my opinion,you should make an appointment with your family doctor and your blood sugar levels should be checked.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

I just had a complete blood test done about 1.5 months ago and he told me everything looked good......

It may be possible that your blood sugar levels were fine.

So we consider Lumbar radiculopathy be a most possible cause in your case.

Try measures as i told you for few days.

And if your symptoms'll persist then make an appointment with an Orthopedist.

You can go for physical therapy as well.

Most likely your symptoms are related to poor posture and prolonged sitting.

It's good to change your chair if it's uncomfortable.

And maintain a good sitting posture.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Ok, thank you so much!

You are most welcome.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician