Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Dad had a stroke 2 weeks ago, which affected his speech (but

still can understand him 70%)...
Dad had a stroke 2 weeks ago, which affected his speech (but still can understand him 70%) and his left side. What do we have to expect in the future? and his memory is mixed up between the past and the present, do we have to correct him or what? the doctores did MRI for him and here it is the results of the MRI:
Brain General: there is an acute hematoma involving the Rt basal ganglia and Rt head of caudate nucleus surronding by minimal edema causing some compressing of frontal horn but no shift of midline structures brain changes corresponding to Pt age. Bilateral mastoditis noted.
Cervical MRI: Bony herniation involving C2 with soft tissue component compressing the cervical cord - Cervical spondylosis at multiple levels compressing the subarachnoid space but no hyperintense signal within the cord. - Cervico medullary junction appears normal
2/26/2013
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
DrDavid :

This is Dr. David

DrDavid :

I am sorry for your father's stroke.

DrDavid :

prognosis after strokes vary greatly between patient to patient.

DrDavid :

he is quite advanced in age at age 88 and from the MRI scan, it sounds like he had a bleed in the right basal ganglia and right caudate nucleus which is in the central part of the brain.

DrDavid :

recovery can be very very slow and some of his abilities may or may not return. only time will tell.

DrDavid :

that is good he is getting physical therapy

DrDavid :

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer:

Thank you for your reply. I have another queries. Would he be at risk to have

Customer:

thank you for your reply. I have another question. Would he be at risk to have another stroke or heartattack if he is bedridden? and how can we avoid the bedsores as we cant move him easily because he is wearing the halo vest. and one last question, how to deal with his memory do we have to correct him as he keeps on mixing between the past and present?

DrDavid :

yes, being bedridden does increase his risks to have a blood clot

DrDavid :

he needs to be turned routinely to decrease chances for bed sores.

DrDavid :

you can correct him if you would like. but it is not necessary for his mind if he is corrected or not.

DrDavid :

just try to keep him as comfortable as possible.

DrDavid :

and try to do as much therapy as he can.

DrDavid :

does he have a nurse which can help attend to him and help roll him and reposition him daily?

DrDavid :

hello?

DrDavid :

do you have other questions?

DrDavid :

if done, please leave +++ positive feedback below the text box.

DrDavid :

best of luck to you and your father.

Customer:

only my brothers who does this, he has a nurse at night. how many sessions of therapy do you think he should take? and is it helpful to have a speech and swallow therapy is needed? and is there any need to keep him at the hospital as he keeps on asking to go home and wants to be in his room. Mum died a year ago and he keeps on wondering why she is not visiting him, what shall we tell him?

DrDavid :

speech and swallow therapy might help somewhat.

DrDavid :

if he can get skilled nursing to care for him at home, then he should be able to go home.

DrDavid :

you can tell him that is in a better place in heaven and watching over him.

Customer:

What about the physiotherapy how many he needs?

DrDavid :

it is impossible to know how many session he needs.

DrDavid :

only time can tell if he gets any benefit from the sessions.

DrDavid :

sometimes it comes to a point where the physiotherapy sessions become too expensive and he doesn't have the strength to do them anymore.

DrDavid :

if he continues to have the strength to do the exercises and the cost is not an option, then he can do the exercises indefinitely.

DrDavid :

only time will tell if he will be able to walk ever again. this is unknown.

Customer:

Actually he is an ex-army man and he is fully insured by the army which is great. But these days when he comes back from the session he sleeps for so long and always tired.

DrDavid :

yes, that can be part of doing those physio sessions.

Customer:

And as you said the physiotherapist suggested that to let him take as long as possible. Would the physio at home be helpful at him or its better to keep on taking him to the center? we are confused as he cant stand staying at the hospital and everytime we leave the hospital at night he wants to go home with us. It is so sad to see him like that, and dad is strong man has a very strong personality keeping the family together, has a strong will.

DrDavid :

patients always do better at home if they can medically go home.

DrDavid :

he will feel more comfortable at home.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your great help. It was so comforting

DrDavid :

if he can get a physical therapist to go to hims home for a few hours a day to do exercises, that would be the most ideal

DrDavid :

you are welcome

DrDavid :

best of luck to you and your father.

DrDavid :

DrDavid :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

DrDavid :

thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Doctor (MD)

I have heard about this Chinese medicine which called Noraid, which is very effective for treating Strokes. Is this a good medicine or what do you think?

have not heard of that before.

these medications are more commony used.

Zheng Gan Xi Feng Tang-Control liver extinguish wind decoction
Bu Yang Huan Wu Tang-Tonify Yag give back 50% decoction

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/articles/china/chinese-herbs-stroke-recovery/1827

Do you recommend these medicines and from where we can get them?

I would talk to his stroke doctors about them.

the data to support using chinese herbal medications for stroke patients is very limited.

they can also be difficult to obtain in the UAE.

you have to find a practitioner of Chinese medicine there.

here are two good centers in Dubai which can help.

http://www.dubaihtc.com/traditional-chinese-medicine-tcm-dubai-herbal-holistic-medicine-treatment-acupuncture-tuina-acupressure-cupping-massage-laseracupuncture/

http://chaslu.com/
Dr. David, Doctor (MD)