Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Does hair grow back thicker after you shave it for the first

Does hair grow back thicker after you shave it for the first time?

Welcome and thank you for the question.

No, hair does not grow back thicker after you shave it for the first time. The thickness of hair depends on the number of hair follicles in the skin and this number will remain constant.

The reason people think it does it because when you shave, you cut the hairs and they are then blunt at the ends. Bluint hair looks thickers and coarser, but it's actually an optical illusion.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How about later on down the road? It never gets thicker as result of shaving? I'm trying to help settle a debate :-)
No, it will never get thicker as a result of shaving. The number of hair follicles is determined at the time of birth by genetics and this will remain constant - so the number of hair will also remain constant.

I hope this helps.