Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I had unprotected sex with a 52 year old woman who's vagina

I had unprotected sex with a 52 year old woman who's vagina was not dry but not very wet either, the act lasted for approx 2 mins. I had no visible abrasions or sores and washed immediately after. I have performed a rapid hiv [email protected] finger prick blood test at 30 days and it was negative. I have been tested for all other std's and are clean. I have a strong immune system so would a test at 35 days be accurate?
Thankyou
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:
Do you know the sexual history of your female partner?
Do you have any other known medical illness?
I am online and is waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I dont know her status std wise.

I am very healthy and barely get a runny nose once ever ten years.

I have had tests for Chlamydia , Gonorrea , Hep B and Syphilis all came back negative after 35 days from exposure.

The hiv test came back negative and I have read most antibodies show up by 4 weeks after any infection, if any occured ofcourse.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr, did you get my reply to your questions?

Dear *****,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:
The window period is the time it takes for your body to produce HIV antibodies after you have been exposed to HIV. In more than 97% of people, this period is between 2 and 12 weeks.
If it comes out to be negative,then a repeat test 3 months after your exposure is required.The result you get after 3 months will be 99% certain.And also if only after 6 months of exposure you get negative tests,you are said to be safe.
Getting tested earlier than 3 months may result in an unclear test result(even if it is negative) because at this time you may not have developed antibodies to HIV.So it is best to wait for at least 3 months to have another the HIV test.
So the bot***** *****ne is that as you were tested negative for HIV after 35 days of sexual encounter,you may be safe but it is advised to have another repeat test after 3 months from the exposure.That will be confirmatory.
Hope this helped
Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.
Thank you for using just answer website.
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou , I read that at 2 weeks 50% show antibodies

3 weeks 75% show antibodies

4 weeks 95% show antibodies

so at 5 weeks I should hopefully be in the 95%

Due to the fact only around 2300 woman in all of Australia compared to males that account for 27000 have HIV the odds of contracting with a one off 2 minute encounter with a woman should be very low. And being negative at 5 weeks has eased my mind. I havnt had any early symptoms either. Never again. Thanks Dr

Dear *****,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.
Yes,as the time passes the percentage of antibiotics will increase & by the end of 3 weeks 99% show antibiotics.
So it is advised to have a repeat test after 3 months from the sexual encounter.
The bot***** *****ne is that there is less chance that you have contracted HIV infection but still for confirmation you should get it tested after 3 months.
Also please do not forget to rate my answer as this is the only way by which an expert can get credit for his work.
Hope this helped
My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles