How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35069
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 51 year old female who is gaining weight rapidly.

This answer was rated:

I am a 51 year old female who is gaining weight rapidly. Only a year ago I was 130 pounds, I am 150 now and moving up. I try to exercise and eat right, but the problem lies in my change of appetite. For some reason, I am always hungry. I tried to eat more protein, but it's impossible: my system craves carbos. What should I do or take to curb my appetite? I don't want to take anything that can harm my system, only natural and proven remedies. I am healthy otherwise. Thank you

Were your hormonal tests normal?
Is there any swelling over the body?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I haven't checked my hormones, and no, there is not swelling in my body.


The causes for increasing weight, increased appetite, craving of carbohydrates can be;

1) diabetes mellitus; glucose tolerance test and glycosylated hormones would be advised.
2) abnormalities of thyroid; low thyroid
3) adrenal dysfunctions
4) prolactin abnormality

Idiopathic edema is other cause for your symptoms, which characterized by impaired water excretion and evidence have shown that antidiuretic hormone is involved in this disease.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. I don't have enough money to go through all the testing, plus I feel great. I don't have a significant weight change, just 20 pounds in one year. I changed my lifestyle, where I have more sedentary job and more stress. I just need to have some kind of supplement to supress my appetite. I wouldn't want to take any kind of medications.

You are very welcome.

You may use Hoodia as appetite suppressant. It also helps in reducing the weight. Please read about it;

Psyllium contains soluble fiber and may help suppress appetite, as you feel fuller, says the University of Maryland Medical Center (Please see the last part of the article).

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you