How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nurse Milli, RN Your Own Question
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4139
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Nurse Milli, RN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had golfer elbows for a more than a year. I don't

This answer was rated:

I have had golfer elbows for a more than a year. I don't really play golf but somehow had injured both elbows. The elbows are basically fine when they are in rest. However, if I do anything that exert mildest force, I'd have pain of the elbows. I haven't done arm exercises in the past 3 months. The elbows seem a tiny bit better. Should I continue NOT to have any upper body exercise?
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.
If you continue to not exercise the arms, you'll have a loss of muscle tone that is likely helping out your elbows with stability, so I would engage in some very easy - type of movements. You can do some arm curls with a simple can of vegetables or other canned food product. Something that weighs less than 5 lbs and do only 3 repetitions of 10 curls. Just enough to keep the arms moving and the elbows from becoming stiff.
If you continue to have pain or discomfort due to the injury, you may need to take something like Advil or other anti-inflammatory medication to help with inflammation and also see your Dr for a simple xray or examination to make sure everything is ok and that you don't need to be wearing a brace or other immobility device and further modifying your exercise.
Reply back if I can help further...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My concern of lossing muscle tone, too. I started to do some light exercises, just like you described, 5 lb for bicep and tricep, for a total of 30 reps. Then my pain got much worse. If I go see a dr, should I request a physical therapy or occupational therapy? What's a difference between a physical therapy and occupational therapy? ca

If only slight exercise is causing you pain, you may end up not doing so well in Physical Therapy. Your Dr that examines you will be the one to tell you if he/she thinks the PT will be right for you or not. Your elbow may require more rest and investigation as to what is causing the pain. There are only slight differences in a physical therapist and an occupational therapist. The occupational therapist will focus more on how to prevent injuries from happening again while physical therapists focus on how to improve your quality of life. Don't get me wrong, they both will help you improve your quality of life, but the occupational therapist seem to be more of educators. Again, there are only small differences in the two, so either one would be fine for you.
Nurse Milli, RN and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you