Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My 83 years mom had a chest cold 2 weeks a go. She starts

Customer Question
coughing, no fever no phlegm...
My 83 years mom had a chest cold 2 weeks a go. She starts coughing, no fever no phlegm Xray showed everything normal.Now the only thing is certain coughs sounds as something like mucas wanting to come up but they get stuck half way..
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Health
2/2/2013
Health Professional: Dr. Charles, Doctor replied 4 years ago
Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:
Was she given antibiotics so far?
Does she have sore throat?
Is there any breathing discomfort?
I am online and is waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Hi dr charles

yes she took antibiotics no change

Dear Shawn,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:
The most common causes of her cough/chest cold can be:
-Viral infection
-Bacterial infection
-Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
-Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
-Postnasal drip
The most probable cause of her symptoms seems to be bacterial infection.
She need expectorant cough mixture to help loosen the mucus and make it easier to cough up from the airways.Expectorants contain ingredients such as guaifenesin, ipecachuana or ammonium citrate.The only expectorant available in OTC(over the counter) products is guaifenesin(some brand names: Mucinex, Robitussin Chest Congestion).
So I advice her to take mucinex cough syrup,it will help her greatly & is available as OTC without prescription.
Spitting will help greatly.Instead of swallowing or ignoring the mucus,spit it into a tissue or the sink every time.Also she needs to get culture test of the sputum so as to know the exact causative organism & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Nebuliser & inhaled medications are more effective.as they act directly on the airway surface and airway muscles.Short-acting inhaled beta-agonists may be prescribed.
So I advice for her to consult the doctor for sputum culture & sensitivity test to know the underlying cause & hence its treatment accordingly.Till then take syp.Mucinex from the counter.
Hope this helped
Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.
Thank you for using just answer website.
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

She did take 2 xrays both normal . Like i say its that certain cough that makes her with shortage of breath that we are concern

Dear Shawn,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.
Yes,I can understand that her both x-rays come out to be normal.This does not rule out infection.
She need following tests:
-Sputum culture
-Throat swab test
-Rapid test for strep infection
-Transillumination (shining a light through the sinuses) is used to look for sinus inflammation.
Keeping a humidifier running in her room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide her dramatic relief.
Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice her to make an appointment with doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly. Broncho dialator & other medications will be prescribed accordingly.
Hope this helped
My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi Doctor

I didn't know that the answers come through Email. Been waiting all this time. Forgot to say she had 2 separate dosage of Antibiotics (8 pills 8 days each) And just made her weaker, no change..

Dear Shawn,
You can see the answer here on the website & also you will get a link & notification your email.
As she had already taken two different antibiotics without any relief she needs to get it tested with a pulmonary doctor as other causes need to be ruled out accordingly.Till then she can take syp.Mucinex from the counter.
Hope this helped
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor