Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Over the last couple years I've noticed my concentration,

Hello, over the last couple years I've noticed my concentration, memory, and other things getting worse. In addition, I seem to slowly losing sensation throughout my body. I have a very hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I notice sometimes while working or doing physical activity I almost feel like passing out. My sex drive has all but diminished. I'm wondering what this could be as I'm becoming very alarmed.
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Have you had any blood tests?

Customer:

Yes, however, its been a while

Customer:

I've been doing some research online about pituitary disorder and such. Also have read about some very debilitating brain diseases and I'm very nervous about all of this

Dr Brims :

Do you know what tests you have had?

Customer:

I was tested for thyroid a ways back and it appeared normal

Dr Brims :

Is that all?

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes, I'm here

Dr Brims :

Okay, do you have any other medical conditions or take any other medication besides anti-depressants?

Customer:

No, and currently I'm not taking anti-depressants

Dr Brims :

Okay, your symptoms may all be caused from a deficiency in vitamin B12, I would recommend you have blood tests to evaluate this, a complete blood count and a serum B12 level

Customer:

Ok that sounds good. The current issue I have is I dont have medical insurance. I'm a contractor for my company and they dont offer any. I've applied for the larger name ones in my area and have been rejected by all. Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention I do have high blood pressure as well. Would you have any advice on where/how I can get this test done that will be affordable.

Dr Brims :

You may try quest diagnostics, they should be able to help you

Customer:

quest diagnostics? Is that something online?

Dr Brims :

No, but they have labs all over the country

Customer:

ok, that sounds like a place to start. If that comes back fine, what would you suggest my next course of action be?

Dr Brims :

If it comes back fine, then I would recommend you have a complete metabolic profile and an MRI

Customer:

Ok thank you. Is there a way I can save your information so when I get back on I can speak to you again?

Dr Brims :

Yes, if you want to contact me again you may start your question with "Dr Brims"

Customer:

Ok thanks again for your help. Lastly, when I go into one of these labs I dont need a referral or any paperwork? Just tell them I want my b12 levels tested?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is all you need , serum B12 levels and a complete blood count

Customer:

Ok perfect, thanks for your time. Have a great day