Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I was just in the Philippines and had shellfish (also alot

Hi Dr. I was just in...
Hi Dr.
I was just in the Philippines and had shellfish (also alot of partying and drinking), boarded my plane back to Singapore (where I live) and have had intense diarrhea since last Monday. It is now going on 5 days straight, although the frequency of the episodes are not as rapid as in the first few days, the stools have been just water. Unable to eat anything without an episode happening very soon after. The urgency has improved as well, however the stools are still just water. Very gross and disturbing. No fatigue, no pain, no fever (to my knowledge)
28 year old male.
1/25/2013
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.
Have you noticed blood mixed with stool? Do you have vomiting?
Are you passing dark color urine? How many times are you passing loose stool in a day?
Have you tried any medications?
Thanks

Hi Doc

No blood to my knowledge, no vomiting, dark colored urine....i dont think so.

Before it was 6 times a day...not its like 3 (2 to 3)

Thanks for all these additional details.I am sorry to hear about your problems.
It sounds that you have infectious pathology of the gut which is normally termed as gastroenteritis. You may have got this infection, while you stayed in Philippines.
To make a diagnose, you need to get a stool culture along with microscopic examination, it will reveal any infectious agent and then you can be treated with appropriate antibiotics.
Prolonged diarrhea may have lead to electrolyte imbalance. You should also get electrolyte levels tested.
It becomes very important to keep yourself hydrated, As most of the problems occur due to dehydration which and it can lead to serious conditions such as renal failure and even shock.
At this time, you need to replenish your electrolytes by taking electrolyte rich fluids like Gatorade and ORS (Oral rehydration Salt).
You should try using the BRAT diet which includes Bananas (good source of potassium), Rice, Applesauce and toast.
Along with antibiotics, you may be given intravenous fluids for quick recovery.
It is advised to visit ER for prompt management. Please don't delay and get it managed in ER ASAP.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

It is advised for me to go to the emergency room asap?

Dear Customer, Having continuous diarrhea since last 5 days, may lead to serious conditions such as renal failure and even shock. You may also have electrolyte imbalance, which can be serious. It becomes important to evaluate the right cause through tests. You need immediate medical care.
Yes, i suggest that please get it managed in ER ASAP.
If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.

Hi Dr

It has been 4 months and I have had bouts of improvement and not so much. I went to the doctor as requested and did a blood test. Things came out normal. However I did not do the stool sample at that time because the timing did not sync. Stupid of me because the problem stopped for a while soon after. However my guts have not really been the same since. Very gassy, different and very unhealthy smelling loose stool twice a day. And just overall bloating. Parasite?

Dear Will, Thanks for coming back to justanswer.com
It is important to get stool test done for correct diagnosis. Though chances of parasite infection is slim. However a stool test is necessary.
Your symptoms can occur with Irritable bowel syndrome(IBS).
Exact cause is still not known, but few determining factors can be considered such as-
-Bacterial infection or irritation of the stomach and intestines caused by bacteria. This condition may start all of a sudden in few days. A stool culture test would be diagnostic.
-Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
-Slow motility
-Food sensitivity
You can treat it with healthy and balanced diet along with medications.
You need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber.
Sometime milk products worsen the condition, if you have any symptoms from them, then avoid it.
Also stress aggravate it, so practice yoga and meditation. Also you need to go for breathing exercises, for relaxation. Avoid anxiety and stress.
You should avoid processed foods. These may contain 'resistant starch' which is difficult for your body to digest.You should Cut down on foods rich in insoluble fiber, such as wholemeal bread, wholegrain rice and cereals containing bran.You should avoid foods such as beans, cabbage, or uncooked cauliflower or broccoli.
Also Getting regular, vigorous exercises, will make bowel movements regular.Sometimes doctor prescribe - Anti anxiety or anti -depressants drugs, These can also cure the symptoms.
I would suggest you to consult your doctor and get this issue managed.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

I'm very bloated and gassy and Singapore does nptbhave good access to over the counter meds. What is a good home remedy that could hold me off until the morning? Fruits? Yogurt? Its just uncomfortable

Dear customer, Thanks for asking follow up question.
Yes, Yogurt would be best for your condition. You should drink plenty of liquids.
You can cut some ginger into slices and pour some limejuice over it. You can have these slices of ginger after every meal. This will give relief form the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
Take dry ginger, green cardamom seeds and pepper and grind them together. Put this powder in one glass of water and drink it after every meal. It is also very effective to cure IBS condition.
You should have five to six small meals instead of two or three large meals. Eat at least two hours before you go to bed for sleeping. Fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts should be part of your daily diet.
Kindly follow these above measures, and you would be free from symptoms.

Hi Dr.

It still has not improved. I plan to go to the hospital tomorrow. Just to manage my concerns if every stool has been watery and loose and food just is not agreeing what could be the potential causes? Its been off and on for months.

Relist: Incomplete answer.
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Welcome and thanks for your question , I am Dr. German and I look forward to helping you until you are satisfied, if this bowel problem has not improved after so much time , besides Irritable Bowel Syndrome other potential factors or conditions could be involved including :
1- Pancreatic Enzyme deficiency
2-Gallbladder stones which could affect your whole digestive process
3-Liver Inflammation
4-Hormonal disorders specially high levels of thyroid hormone
5- Colitis ( in this condition ,the bowel lining walls become swollen or inflamed when the immune cells that normally defend your body against infections, mistakenly attack your bowel cells )
6-Celiac Disease ( in this condition ,your body begins to overreact to a substance called gluten present in several foods producing intestinal inflammation)
7- Medication side effects
8- A bacterial or parasite infection
To determine which of these conditions is producing these long term symptoms,the doctors will need to perform several tests including : stool sample test analysis , amylase ,lipase, bilirubin blood levels and liver function tests , thyroid blood levels , antibodies blood tests ,some image tests could also be necessary including a cholangiopancreatography or a colonoscopy to visualize the pancreatic duct ,biliary tract and your colon or bowel walls .
With these tests ,your doctor will be able to tell you what is happening so you can receive an appropriate and definitive treatment .
If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !
When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor