Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Is a red blood cell count of 3.85 ok?

Is a red blood cell count of 3.85 ok?

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today .

Your RBC count of 3.85 is below normal.The normal range of RBC count is from 4.2 to 5.4 million cells/mcL.

A low red blood cell count can be due to any of the following causes:anemia,
acute or chronic blood loss, malnutrition, chronic inflammation, or a number of
nutritional deficiencies including iron, copper, vitamin B-12, or vitamin B-6.Anemia is the most common cause of having less than the normal number of red blood cells.

The treatment is done according to the cause. The cause has to be removed(treated) & also iron & other supplements may be required accordingly.

If anemia is the cause (which is most common cause), then also treatment will depend upon whether you are not getting enough iron in the diet (increase iron intake); not absorbing iron (surgery for celiac sprue,etc.); or losing amounts of iron over time. That is treatment is done according to the cause.

So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a chance I have Leukemia?

Dear Ginger,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.
No this does not indicate leukemia.Leukemia is characterized by a rapid increase in the number of immature blood cells or by the excessive build up of relatively mature, but still abnormal, white blood cells.The DNA of immature blood cells, mainly white cells, becomes damaged in some way.
What exactly has caused your low RBC count can be known,only when other specialized blood tests & bone marrow biopsy will be done.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped
My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles