Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Recently, I have a wavering type of pain at the very bottom

Recently, I have a wavering type of pain at the very bottom of my sternum. Was woken up this morning by the pain at 5am. It persisted for about 3 hours. The pain is there for about 15/20 seconds and then goes away for a couple of minutes then comes back for about 15/20 seconds. No nausea or fever. On a scale of 1 -10, it can be an 8 at the peak of pain period.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you have any pain or numbness in left arm?
Do you feel pain on applying pressure to that site?
Does the pain increased with exertion?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No numbness to left arm

no pressure pain at the site

no pain with exertion

5'7", 157 lbs, perfect health, good cholesterol, good sugar levels, good BP

Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The area of pain you have described is medically called as epigastric region & this pain can be due to following causes:GERD,gastritis,pancreatitis,peritonitis,appendicitis.

It is a common symptom of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or heartburn. It is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.

Gastritis occurs due to a condition called gastritis.It is an inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach.It is caused by a various causes like physical stresses, social habits, chemicals, and infections,excessive use of Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

Less likely this can be due to heart disease,so it should be ruled out.

You need following tests:

-Ultrasound of upper abdomen,
-EKG(Electrocardiogram)
-Endoscopy,gastroscopy or EGD,
-Urinalysis
-Barium meal studies & Barium follow through(BFT)

Most probable cause seems to be GERD or gastritis.Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an urgent appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.If you do not get an urgent appointment,then go to ER.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, these symptoms can occur at any time of the day or night and not necessarily right after eating? Why would the symptom appear in the middle of the night?

Dear XXXXX,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

The symptoms can occur at any time of day & not necessarily right after eating. It is mere a co-incidence that it had occurred at middle of the night.

The symptoms of GERD/gastritis can occur at any hour of the day.Ultrasound of upper abdomen & other tests will reveal the exact cause.

Exact underlying cause can be confirmed only after tests & examination.So I advice you to make an urgent appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dear Robert,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Do you had any other episode of that pain?
Have you consulted your doctor?
What tests were done?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles