Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I have had a flu type virus for over a week.the symptoms

I have had a flu type virus for over a week.the symptoms began suddenly with very sore throat,dry painful cough,nausea,pain behind eyes,general aches in muscles,sore lower back,slight fever at times,fatigue etc. I did everything advised,plenty fluids,bed rest,paracetamol,ibuprofen,etc. Yesterday I was delighted as I was feeling so much better,although symptoms of cough and runny nose were still there i was feeling generally stronger and thought I could return to work on Monday.then wham. Last night the sore throat returned with a vengeance and I just feel generally unwell again and can't return to work yet. I don't know if I need to see GP as I know antibiotics are not the answer but I'm wondering if I need this for my throat. It's just confusing me now. Any advice would be appreciated. I also need to know if this can happen with a flu type virus.Thank you.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:
Do you have any fever now?
Have you underwent any test now?
Have you taken antibiotics so far?
I am online and is waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've no fever. Had this for only a week & my sister has exactly the same virus with the same symptoms. It's definitely going about where I live. I haven't seen GP with it so no antibiotics although I know they often say antibiotics don't help viruses if that's what it is.
Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:
Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections which is commonly called as flu.But this can also be bacterial like strep throat.It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat.It is caused group A Streptococcus bacteria.
Strep can not be accurately diagnosed by looking at the throat alone. It requires a laboratory test.A throat swab or a rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection.Sore throat caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications but as it has been more then 7 days now & you still have the symptoms,so there is great possibility that you & your sister's symptoms can be due to bacterial infection.
You need following tests:
-Throat swab for culture test
-Rapid test for strep infection
-Throat examination
Oral antibiotics need to be prescribed,if the bacterial infection is confirmed with these tests.So you need to consult your GP regarding this.
Till then keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day will provide you dramatic relief.
Hope this helped
Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.
Thank you for using just answer website.
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for this. One more question. It's confusing as to why my throat appeared a lot better and came back suddenly and can this happen with flu type symptoms?
Dear customer,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.
Usually the sore throat caused by viral infection gets cleared by its own without medications within 7-10 days.
There is a great possibility & it is very common that initially you had viral infection(flu) & then then due to decreased immunity the bacterial infection invades it.This is called as super added bacterial infection.It is very common after flu.
The bacterial infection can be confirmed only after these tests.So I advice you to make an appointment with your GP for these tests & examination to confirm the exact cause & then treatment like antibiotics will be prescribed accordingly.
Streptococcus is highly responsive to penicillin and the cephalosporin antibiotics.So penicillin or amoxicillin(a broader spectrum penicillin) or antibiotic from cephalosporin group may be prescribed accordingly.are the best antibiotics for strep throat.
Hope this helped
My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.
Kind Regards-
Dr Charles