Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I have a 5 year old that every once in awhile he will doing

I have a 5 year old that every once in awhile he will doing 2-3 rapids blinks it sometimes he will blink couple times real slow an hold his blink. It is very random though. Not every day or anything. I some times notice it when he is tired, coughing, or sneezing. Is this a tic or is a tic more frequent
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

It could be a tic or a nervous habit, but not all of these situations are the same. Sometimes seizures can present this way. I don't know if you have had him checked out by his Pediatrician but that would be the best route. They may actually have him go for a little test to rule out seizure activity. As you probably know, not all seizures will present as the grand mal type (where the patient falls out in the floor and seizes violently). Some seizures will simply cause staring or blinking as you have described. While I can't tell you for sure what is going on, I'm certainly not telling you he is having seizures so I don't want you to panic or worry....just get him checked out. If it is a habit or tic, he may possibly grow out of it.

Reply back if I can help further or answer any additional related questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Doesn't there have to be some loss of consciousness or some thing. He never stops doing what ever he is doing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Back in Sept one evening he was rapid blinking like crazy and the tight hold blinks. He did this throughout one evening and our friend who is an OB nurse watched him while he was playing a game on my phone. We were just visiting and she was observing him and when he did it he never stopped playin the game. We took him I his doctor and they said it could be a habit but he had jus started it and it was hard tell. We did get his eyes checked and everything looked great there. That next day after he started it he quit. I would just talk to him and let him know when he did it. It just started again randomly like once this weekend when he was congested and then this morning playing a video game
No, the person does not have to lose consciousness at all. Some patient will appear as though they are daydreaming. A lot of times, the teachers of children will report that the child is appearing to be daydreaming in class a lot when really the child is having what is called Absence seizures. Complex partial seizures may only last 1-2 minutes and the only symptom may be lip smacking and/or rapid blinking and/or picking at their clothes. So, no, people don't have to have the types of seizures where you see the patient fall out in the floor and lose consciousness.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if he does 2-3 quick blinks and nothing else this could be a seizure
Well, it could be a tic, yes...but that's part that we just don't know. Thing to remember is a Neurologist has not witnessed him doing it and he's not had any testing, so these are all guesses but I think it's significant enough to take him in to be checked out at the least.