Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I'm about 5'1 or 5'2 about 95lb. I keep eating and eating,

Hi, I'm about 5'1 or 5'2...
I'm about 5'1 or 5'2 about 95lb. I keep eating and eating, but I'm always hungry. I eat alot but i cannot gain weight. What can be wrong?
1/2/2013
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.
At your age, your metabolism may be elevated still. The metabolism does decrease as we age so at age 21, yours is still in good shape. Also, genetics play a role in our body structure as well as other factors such as our thyroid. If our thyroid is overactive, it can cause you to lose weight....but it sounds as though yours is staying the same, you're just not gaining. Also, I didn't see you go into how active you are, but cardio (or any kind of exercise where you get your heart rate elevated) can really burn calories, resulting in not being able to gain weight. Make sure you are eating a nutritious diet that is not high in processed foods and sugar.
Hi there. I was away from my computer for a few hours after I answered you but I also wanted to add that if you have not had your blood sugar checked lately, you might want to (or have a physical exam in general). The thyroid test, possibly a diabetes screening, and other blood work.
Extreme thirst, frequent urination, and excessive hunger (without gaining weight) can all be signs of diabetes.
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)