Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Can't sleep not sure if it's because I am stressed out or

what. Breathing is...
Can't sleep not sure if it's because I am stressed out or what. Breathing is loud kind of sounds like an ut huh would sound but with breathing can you suggest anything?
1/2/2013
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

Do you have stuffy nose?

Are you snoring?

Shortness of breath?

Fast heart rate?

Heart palpitations?

Any other medical history?

Difficulty in breathing while sleeping?

Are you taking any medications?

Stress and anxiety?

Phlegm at back of throat?

no stuffiness, been told i snore, bresthing feels short

hesrt rste about88,no palpation that i have noticed...No difgicultybrestginh while sleeping...no meds i do have some strrsd...no phlem

Thanks for providing more information.

It sounds like sleep apnea.

What happens is when you sleep the flap behind your throat falls back and blocks the airway which is why one gets off cant breathe and snore loud,sometimes chokes.

You need to first of all sleep on 2 pillows.

Other possible cause may include Gastro esophageal reflux,Nasal congestion.

You can try OTC Prilosec and Benadryl.

Meantime you might want to try breathe easy nasal strips .

You can get them over the counter by the nose drops.

If this does not help then you need a sleep study.
You should also have an EKG to make sure this is not a heart rhythm problem causing this.

I suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.

If your symptoms are getting worse over the time then visit ER.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

i have had sleep studies done no signs of sleepapnea was found. have had several done....while i do snore it is not a severe snore and i havent been able to sleep at all tonight

i normally sleep really well

Thanks for the follow-up.

It's good that your sleep studies are fine.

And as you normally sleep really well so most likely stress and anxiety can be contributing factor in your current symptoms.

Your heart rate is fine.

I recommend you to try OTC Benadryl 25 mg which provides comfort to your breathing and acts as a sleeping aid.

Elevate your head side of bed.

And use a humidifier in your room.

If your symptoms'll persist then consult an ENT specialist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

would elevate the head of my bed if i had one....beensleeping on a couch for a yesr now too much stuff around to do much with the couch and use a special pillow to help with neck to use a couple

thank you for your time.

It's good to elevate your head side of bed with 1-2 pillows rather than lying on couch as couch is not so comfortable.

And try Benadryl to see it helps.

And use a humidifier in your room.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

i have no choice right now....its all that is available to me where i am staying.....trust me iwould rathrr have a bed

You should try a bed for sleeping.

And do some deep breathing exercises and meditation to relax yourself.

I hope this helps.

if a bed wss avsilable for me i would......i want a bed do bad...i just need to be able to get bavk into my own place so i csn ........i dont want to sleeep on couch just NO CHOICE right now

i dont even have my own room where i am i sleep in the living room

Firstly relax yourself with deep breathing exercises and meditation.

And hydrate yourself with warm liquids.

If you feel comfortable on couch with 2 pillows then it's good.

listen a light music.

I hope this helps.

I HATE SLEEPING ON THE COUCH!!!!!! IT IS NOT COMFORTABLE!!!! I HAVE NO CHOICE RIGHT NOW....THERE IS NO OTHER BED WHERE I AM LIVING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!! Sorry to geg like this but feeling like i am not being heard on the couch issue.

You can ask your neighbour for some help.

If possible visit ER for prompt management.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

none around......just got a decent job before Chrstmas going to be getting own place with a bed soon is my plan

i have nothingfurthrr thsnk you for your time

Happy New Year.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)