Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
19863579

I think i maybe added too much salt to my dinner and I

I think i maybe added too much salt to my dinner and I wondered if you can get sick from having too much salt at one sitting? My mouth feels kinda strange and dry now.
Dr. David :

Hello. Yes, eating too much salt can make a person feel a bit ill. It the worst case scenario, it can cause violent diarrhea. But is could also cause the mucous membranes of the mouth the feel dry. Dr. David

Customer:

hello

Customer:

but nothing too serious?

Customer:

just upset stomach

Customer:

how soon after eating would i feel the danger

Dr. David :

Hi. Nothing too serious can happen from eating too much salt. Just an upset stomach and diarrhea at the worst. The upset stomach can happen within 10 or 20 minutes of eating too much salt. In some cases sooner.

Customer:

i guess i will drink lots of water

Customer:

maybe too help with my mouth

Dr. David :

Yes. That sounds like a good plan. Drinking some pure water can help to flush out the salt.

Customer:

coud too much salt ever be poison?

Customer:

i hope i dnt get a headache from it

Dr. David :

If a person has a severe kidney problem such as kidney failure, then eating too much salt could be a problem because their body cannot get rid of it. But for an otherwise healthy individual eating too much salt will not cause any particular acute problems other than an upset stomach and diarrhea. Eating too much salt every day can contribute to high blood pressure in some individuals. Eating too much salt should not cause a headache.

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

i have an unrelated psychological question

Customer:

should i not ask that here

Customer:

would you be qualified to answer tht?

Dr. David :

Perhaps I could give you an answer. Please let me know your question and I will let you know if I am qualified or if it would be better to ask another Expert.

Customer:

ok, well one question i had was my mother who is 74 seems a little less sharp then she used to be and also more forgetful, Sometimes asking the same question she asks moments before, seemingly forgettig she asked it. She is otherwise high functioning and very lucid and smart to talk to and active. Should I be worried about alzheimers disease?

Dr. David :

In my experience with women over 70 years old, this sounds like typical behavior. Short term memory loss is common and this does not indicate Alzheimer's disease. If this is the only symptom and she is very lucid otherwise, then you do not need to be concerned about Alzheimer's.

Customer:

wht would be the Alzheimers signs?

Customer:

typically

Dr. David :

Usually the symptoms are more severe. There can be memory loss that affects daily activities, like going out for a walk and forgetting how to get back home. Also there can be problems completing simple tasks or problems with self care. There can be confusion about time and place. And there can be changes in mood and personality.

Customer:

i see

Customer:

what is the danger age range for alzheimers? does it usually come on at a certain demographic? Who are the most likely to get it and when or why?

Dr. David :

Most people with Alzheimer's disease are diagnosed at age 65 or older. A minority are diagnosed with "early onset" Alzheimer's prior to age 65. There are some risk factors such as heart disease, diabetes, smoking, and obesity. Conditions like these affect the blood flow to the brain, and a diminished blood flow can promote the formation of plaques and neurofibrillary tangles that are associated with Alzheimer's disease. There also seems to be a strong genetic component to Alzheimer's. Women may be more likely to get Alzheimer's than men, as it becomes more common the older one gets. Excessive exposure to toxic metals such as aluminum may also play a role.

Customer:

hmmm, i dont think my mom fits into those categories, except for being female

Customer:

and the right age

Dr. David :

I agree. It doesn't sound like she is at any particular risk for getting Alzheimer's disease.

Customer:

i hope not

Customer:

thak yu

Customer:

very much

Dr. David :

You are welcome. I wish you and mother the best. Take care.