Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I recently had severe muscle spasms around my ribcage when I

Customer Question

I recently had severe muscle spasms around my ribcage when I woke up one morning. They were so bad that I could hardly move and they were so painful that I actually burst into tears. That happened for 2 or 3 days. I actually started leaving a glass of water and oxycodone with ibuprofen on the nightstand so that it would be accessible to me in the morning. This has never happened to me before and it has me concerned. Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 4 years ago.
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Do you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer: Oh boy where to start! I have arthritis in my L spine and in my neck. I also have low thyroid, diabetes type 2 controlled with metformin and diet. And I have veinous stasis on my legs due to diabetes and low renal function that causes my legs to swell.
Dr Brims :

I see, okay, these spasms may be due to abnormal electrolytes, I would recommend you have your serum electrolytes checked

Dr Brims :

It may be resolved with supplements, but it would require the test first

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer: yes
Dr Brims :

Can you see my reply?

Customer: Not really
Dr Brims :

It may be resolved with electrolyte supplements, but it would require the test first to determine which one is abnormal

Customer: Now i can.
Dr Brims :

ok

Customer: Now i can see it.
Dr Brims :

ok

Customer: I can see it now.
Dr Brims :

Okay, is there anything you would like me to clarify?

Customer: I do plan on seeing my doctor this week or beginning of next. Are there any other tests that I should bring up. When I go in?
Dr Brims :

Yes, ask for a complete metabolic profile

Dr Brims :

It is a blood test

Customer: Okay. This has never happened before and it was excruciating.
Dr Brims :

I understand, these tests will help

Dr Brims :

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this topic

Dr Brims :

Please also remember to click a rating button prior to exiting the chat session

Customer: Thank you so much for giving me a possible lead to finding out why this happened. I never want to have that happen again!
Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Customer: Did you receive my answer? I think my connection is slow!
Dr Brims :

I saw it

Dr Brims : Would you phase click a rating button of you have no other questions?