Dr K
Dr K, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified physician
65718478

I am a 61 year old lady I suffer with I..S and have for 20

Customer Question

Hi I am a 61 year old lady I suffer with I.B.S and have for 20 years, I now only get dirrohoe, I have had it for 3 weeks on and off this time round but have had longer spells of it in the past, I take Immodium original but it does not always stop it, would I be better taking Immodium plus, or instants, as sometimes when I am out without warning an urge comes on, although so far I have made it to the toilet, I find it very distressing, and it happened today I was not far from home but I nearly never made it, I could have a tummy bug as my flat mate has had it over christmas but dont know for sure feel at my wits end with this condition as it rules my life. I was diagnosed with auto immune disorder in 2004 because I had thyroid eye disease with an under active thyroid, my thyroid was killed off last year so that is sorted but have been told I have systamatic lupus and myasthenia gravis, but as yet have no real symptoms0f either...... or do I!!!!!!!!!!! my thyroid antibodys were very high but have decreased a bit since my thyroid was killed off, but could this have something to do with why I have I.B.S. also could it be coliac disease and is there a test I can have done for this? have you any suggetions on how I can cope with this please? June
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr K replied 4 years ago.
DrK99 :

Hello, this is Dr K99. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. Please consult your Dr for medical advice.

DrK99 :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

DrK99 :

You can try Immodium AD if you are not already using this. Immodium Plus may be helpful as well

DrK99 :

There is the possiblity of celiac disease which is often diagnosed later in life. While you can have a blood test,the gold standard is colonoscopy and biopsy.

DrK99 :

If you have not had a recent colonoscopy you will want to schedule this

DrK99 :

Blood tests can detect higher than normal levels of antibodies such as anti-endomysium and anti-tissue transglutaminase in people with celiac disease but the actual diagnostic test is a small intestine biopsy done by colonoscopy

DrK99 :

I hope this is helpful.