Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

12 days ago my lower lip was sore as though I was getting a

cold sore and I could...
12 days ago my lower lip was sore as though I was getting a cold sore and I could feel what I thought was little blisters inside my lips. A couple of days late 2 blisters appeared one above my top lip one below my bot***** *****p. ( I have called them blisters because I don't know how else to describe them - but they are flat and do not appear to have anything in them). For about a week I applied zovirax - but they did not move through any of the normal stages of a cold sore. Yesterday I went to a doctor. He didn't know what they were but thought they were healing on their own. Today they are slightly more raised and for a couple of days my whole bot***** *****p particularly the corners are stinging.
12/29/2012
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately-
Do you have Small fluid-filled blisters around lips ?
Do you have sore throat or muscle ache?
Any past significant medical issue?
Thanks

They don't appear to be fluid filled. Yes I've had a sore throat. No past significant medical issues.

Thanks for quick input.
It sounds to be Cold sore, They most often occur on the lips which distinguishes them from the common canker sore which is usually inside the mouth.
One may have headache, fever, and swollen lymph nodes in the neck.
There may be pain, burning, itching, or tingling at the site.
In most of patients, such symptoms occur at the outer edge of the lips called as vermilion border.
The line of treatment is Acyclovir (Zovirax), This is effective in oral or intravenous form. As you have used in cream form, so it was not effective, You should get a oral prescription.
Over-the-counter lip products that contain the chemical phenol (such as Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment) and numbing ointments (Anbesol) help to relieve cold sores.
Also Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) may be taken if necessary to reduce pain and fever.
Please consult your doctor, and get it clinically diagnosed. You will be advised treatment accordingly.
If you have any further query then please feel free to ask.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Best wishes

The Dr I visited yesterday did not think it was a cold sore, but he did not really know what else they might be. I have had cold sores in the past many years ago and this is quite different - they have not burst and scabbed as they normally would. I took zovirax tablets at the onset of my sore lip. I am worried that it is now 12 days and there has been no improvement. Could it be anything else?

Dear Customer, Other possibility to be considered is Thrush (Candidiasis). It is an infection caused by an overgrowth of the Candida fungus.
It can results in lesions or sores on the cracked, red, moist areas on outer sides of lips. It can cause cold sore lesions and may be painful. Your doctor can send a sample of these scrapings to a laboratory for testing.
Fungal infection is treated with antifungal medications like- Nystatin (Mycostatin, Nilstat), clotrimazole (Mycelex)or fluconazole (Diflucan).
For more severe cases, ketoconazole or fluconazole may be taken once a day for seven to 10 days. The corners of the mouth can be treated effectively with a nystatin ointment.
I would suggest that you should consult another doctor, and discuss these options.
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Best wishes

I have an appointment for Monday with another Dr. If I use canestan cream until my appointment and it is not thrush could this make my lips worse?

Dear Customer, Yes this is right time to visit another doctor at the earliest.
Yes, you can safely use canesten cream on affected areas. This will not cause any harm, and please take Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil)to reduce pain and fever.
Please get it checked from doctor by Monday.
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Best wishes
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor