How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. German Your Own Question
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 3834
Experience:  MD
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. German is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been having pain in my upper abdomen for @ 2 weeks

This answer was rated:

I have been having pain in my upper abdomen for @ 2 weeks now. Seems to be mostly on my left side near my ribcage. It feels like there is a lump there after I eat. Now the pain has moved to my right side also. I don't have any vomiting or nausea but my bowel movements have changed. I have constipation now. I did take a mild laxative and it helped alittle. I do have type 2 diabetes and take glucotrol and metformin. I also take amlodipine for high blood pressure. And I do know I have a small ulcer.
I told my doctor about the pain and she said it was a mobility issue. I don't think so. I am getting concerned that it could be my heart?
Welcome and thanks for your question, it is true that left upper abdominal pain could be caused by heart problems like heart angina (in which the heart blood flow becomes blocked by the presence of a clot or sudden vasoconstriction ) .It is also true that some patients with heart problems could present atypical symptoms like upper gastrointestinal discomfort specially women and diabetic patients .
I would suggest you to contact other doctor to have a proper evaluation and a second medical evaluation .
It would be recommendable to have an EKG , chest X-rays , an echocardiogram and your heart enzyme blood levels measured to be 100 % if you have a heart problem or not .
However , other conditions will need to be investigated including : gastroesophageal reflux ( in this condition , the stomach acid juices flow back into the esophagus ) , gallstones ,liver ,pancreas or spleen inflammation, strained muscles, stomach ulcer or masses, ureter stones or masses, bowel inflammation, gases inside the bowel , lung or airways tract inflammation, adrenal gland cysts ( fluid filled sacs ) or masses , kidney infections or aneurysms ( which are enlarged blood vessels ).
The doctor will need to perform some tests including : an abdominal X-rays ,liver function tests , amylase ,lipase , lower abdomen CT Scan or MRI and urine tests .
With these tests , your doctor will be able to find out which of these conditions is producing your symptoms so You can receive the most appropriate treatment .
If this pain is really severe or is accompanied by other symptoms like dizziness, fainting , shortness of breath or increased sweating , you must go to the emergency so You can be evaluated IMMEDIATELY .
Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.
Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !
When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Dr. German and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you