Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I am having a tough time (last 2 days) lifting my right arm

I am having a tough time (last 2 days) lifting my right arm above my head and shoulders. I didn't injure it, I have never had arthritis, it started two mornings ago when I woke up. It doesn't hurt when I am not lifting it - I can lift it over my head and shoulder if I use my left hand to help. once it is up there it doesn't hurt. - its a dull throbing sometimes but otherwise not bad except when I attempt to lift it and then it hurts very badly. I started taking Alleve today thinking that it might be tendonitis or some type of inflammations.
Thank you for your question:

Have you ever had this before?

Do you have any other medical problems?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not had this before - since I have taken the alleve it seems better I can lift arm above head but I still have a soreness in my muscle in the right arm. I do not have any other medical problems and am not on any medication.

Thank you:

Based on the information that you have provided, it does seem to suggest an inflammatory condition; tendinitis or bursitis.

You should be checked by your physician. Typically, I refer my patients to physical therapy if the Aleve (or similar medications) does not completely solve the problem in 5-7 days.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what might have caused the tendinitis or bursitis?

Either of these conditions can occur following minor injury OR without any specific injury. They are both inflammatory conditions which can be aggravated by overuse or narrowing in the shoulder joint.