Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

My girlfriend is a hairdresser so she is standing in one

My girlfriend is a hairdresser so she is standing in one spot all day,she comes home with really sore legs and feet complaning that she cant feel her legs. Sometimes she cant even walk because its so sore, she has already had some veins in her legs removed a few years ago but now they are getting sore again, would going to the chiropractor help?? She has never been to one before, so do you think it could be spine related?
Welcome and thanks for your question , at her age , this is probably not spine related .
This is probably caused by the presence of varicose veins again ( they are very common specially in people who work standing up on their feet all day ) .
She should take brief rest periods and elevate her legs , she could also get some compression stockings over the counter . These stockings improve the blood flow in her legs ,increasing the venous back return of blood from her legs back into her heart , alleviating her symptoms . Exercising also helps , she should also avoid high heels or wearing tight clothes .
The reason why varicose veins produce soreness or pain , it is because blood pools in the legs, producing swelling and peripheral nerve root compression ,as consequence numbness .
If these measures do not relieve her symptoms completely , she would need to contact her doctor again to receive additional treatment like sclerotherapy ,laser surgery or phlebectomy to remove the affected veins .
Her doctor will also investigate other conditions that could produce similar symptoms including : tendinitis, leg vein inflammation , a lower back herniated disc , joint inflammation or leg cramps ( which are involuntary , sudden and intense leg muscles contraction ) .
Her doctor will basically perform a physical examination , a lower back CT Scan or MRI, nerve conduction tests and a doppler ultrasound to find out what specific condition is producing her symptoms so she can receive an appropriate treatment.
Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.
Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !
When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the answer and i will rate higher than 3 for you, also if i massage her legs a couple of nights a week will that help??? And if i massage should i massage going down the leg or massage my way up the leg?
massage helps, however ,use a light touch starting at the ankle and ending at the upper thigh and elevate her legs using a pillow . Avoid massaging areas where there are bulged veins .