Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I keep on having in night time pins and needles in my right

Customer Question
Hi, I keep on having in...
I keep on having in night time pins and needles in my right hand. Last night it was really extreme, I could not stop that sensation even with a long tapping on my hand. Today I had also some trouble with carrying my shopping bag, as my hand got very numb and prickly.
I read online about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and the symptoms described are like mine. I also did two described tests with results of pins and needles in my finger tips. Do you think I have this syndrome and what should I do?
Thank you,
Tuuli
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Health
12/23/2012
Health Professional: Dr. German, Doctor (MD) replied 4 years ago
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Welcome and thanks for your question , yes , it is possible that you have carpal tunnel syndrome according to what you have been experiencing .
On the other side , there are additional medical conditions that could also produce similar symptoms like : blood vessel blockage , peripheral neuropathy ( in this condition , the peripheral nerve roots become swollen ,inflamed or irritated ), neurological diseases like multiple sclerosis ( in which there is myelin loss or degeneration ( the myelin is the substance that covers the nerve root fibers ) ) , hormonal disorders ( like low thyroid blood levels or diabetes) , brain blood flow blockage or obstruction, vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency ,irregular electrolyte blood levels ( specially calcium, sodium or potassium ) and /or medication side effects .
You should consult a doctor , preferably an Internal Medicine or Neurologist who will need to evaluate you to determine which of these conditions including carpal tunnel syndrome is producing what you have been feeling.
He/she will need to perform some tests including : a hand X-rays, nerve conduction tests , electrolyte blood levels, glucose blood levels , CBC, blood tests , vitamin B12 levels, a head CT Scan or MRI ( if he/she considers it really necessary ) and thyroid blood levels .
With these tests , the doctor will be able to determine which of these conditions is producing your symptoms so You can receive the most appropriate treatment .
In the meantime , you could get a wrist splint over the counter that you can wear at nightime ,take breaks from repetitive hand movements , get a multivitamin supplement or vitamin B12 supplement and you could take acetaminophen or ibuprofen if you are experiencing pain .
If you have carpal tunnel syndrome ,your doctor will treat you with conservative measures at first including anti-inflammatory medications and a wrist splint , if your symptoms do not improve he could inject you corticosteroids or perform a minimal surgical procedure to decompress the pinched nerve.
Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.
Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !
When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Dr. German
Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)