Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

The inside of my right ankle keeps swelling, the outside of

The inside of my right ankle keeps swelling, the outside of the ankle does not swell. I don't have any leg pain, ankle or foot pain, but my two smallest toes tingle, slightly numb. The swelling goes down at night whether my foot is elevated or not. I sit behind a computer much of the day, but I do walk around the office, but it still swells. Interestingly, if I'm sitting at home or doing things around the house it does not swell, but if I put shoes on and go out for an hour or more, it swells. Heels definitely make the swelling worse. I'm 49, for what that is worth.

Welcome and thanks for your question , by what you described the right ankle swelling you have been experiencing is probably being caused by a vascular or blood vessel disorder ,it could be venous insufficiency in your right leg .

When the leg veins valves are weakened , blood could build up producing swelling . At night time , when you lie down that position increases the blood return from your veins back into your heart alleviating the swelling .

When an area becomes swollen ,it could produce nerve root compression and numbness.

On the other side , it is really important for you to consult a doctor to determine if besides venous insufficiency ,there could be other medical condition involved including : previous trauma , heart disease , kidney disease ( specially if you have not been urinating properly ), varicose veins , medication side effects ( including blood pressure medications, hormone therapy, antidepressants or medications to control your glucose blood levels could produce leg swelling ), osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis ( in which there is joint inflammation however these conditions usually produce pain not only swelling ) or blood vessel inflammation.

In the meantime , you could get some compression stockings over the counter and reduce the consumption of salt in your diet ,salty or high seasoned foods . Massage the area ,apply cool pads and elevate your legs .

Your doctor will need to perform some image tests like a doppler ultrasound, kidney function tests , a chest X-rays , an echocardiogram , GFR, a lower leg X-rays , blood tests and CBC to determine what specific condition is producing these symptoms You have been experiencing so you can be treated properly .

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's been like this for 3 weeks, but again, it doesn't swell if I'm not wearing shoes, or wearing flip flops, which I find strange. Also, how immediately do I need to see a doctor? Is there immediate danger?

You do not need to see a doctor immediately . However , if the swelling persists you need to see a doctor to see what is happening . There is not immediate danger , if you experience other symptoms like pain ,fever , dizziness or shortness of breath ,in that case , You would need to go to the emergency but with your actual there is not need to go to the emergency .
In your case , this does not look severe ,specially if the swelling occurs exclusively when you are wearing shoes , specially high heels or tight shoes which could affect the blood flow and compress the area producing swelling .
It is important to perform a leg X-rays to see if you could have experienced some minor trauma in that area ( ligaments, muscles or bones ) which could be triggering the swelling.