Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I have been off work for 3 days with a cold and spent a lot

I have been off work for 3 days with a cold and spent a lot of time in bed, drinking quite a lot but not eating much. Yesterday I was feeling a bit better though 'wobbly' so got up and prepared to return to work today.
I don't normally sleep on my back as it makes it ache, but I have spent a lot of time either lying or sitting and it was a bit stiff, Yesterday afternoon I leant forward and down to take something from somebody else and there was a 'twanging' pain in my lower back, right at the base.
Since then I can move and walk and bend but I have an ache and the edge of the pain again when I make some movements. Sleeping was difficult, on my side with a pillow propped up against my back, and moving was uncomfortable.
My main problem is I don't know what to do or not to do, I don't want to aggravate it by moving too much or not go ahead and try to act as normal.
I have a back support I occasionally use for actual aching rather than pain but I don't know if it will do any good for this.
I will try to get an appointment to my doctor but i may not be able to, and I ought to go to work if it's likely to 'wear off'.

Do you radiating pain,numbness in your legs?

Are you overweight?

History of arthritis,etc?

Are you taking any medicines?

Is area at your lower back tender to touch?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the pain when it comes is just in my lower back

I am overweight

I have some arthritic signs in my knees but apart from being stiff when I was sleeping last night they are all right now

I was taking some the anti-inflammatory ibruprofen for my cold, which I also take for any occasional knee or back pain but no other medication

it desn't particularly feel tender to touch

Thanks for providing more information.

As per your description,sudden attack of pain in lower back suggests the possibility of Herniated disc,Muscle strain.

So you should firstly continue your Ibuprofen 200 mg every 4 hourly.

And do gentle massage with Capsaicin cream which is a topical analgesic.

And apply warm compresses with a heating pad.

You can wear back support as you have.

And if pain is getting worse with time then you need to make an appointment with your doctor ASAP and further X-ray of lumbosacral spine should be advised.

Physical therapy can be advised.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. What do you think about should i try to go out and act/move normally? I seem to be okay walking and moving except when getting up from sitting or leaning backwards slightly, and what about stretching? I have a curved board that helps when I occasionally get a normal backache but I wouldn't want to do anything to aggravate this.

Thanks for the follow-up.

As you have acute pain so avoid stretching for a while.

And you should wear back support while sitting if you feel comfortable.

You should lying down on flat bed rather than curved board.

And main thing is to take Ibuprofen 200-400mg every 4 hourly and do gentle massage.

If you want to do work then you need to take short breaks of rest.

If pain is unbearable then you should avoid your work for 2 more days and get an appointment with your doctor or visit ER for pain management.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I move/walk/act normally I sholdn't aggravate it? Obviously not to do anything strenuous ( I wouldn't) It's not really painful more uncomfortable at the moment

So if I take the ibruprofen, use the support and some cream - I have some but is probably out of date so will have to go out and get some more- and be careful it may gradually wear off?

Yes you should buy new topical analgesic cream and take self care measures to see good results.

And you can move/walk/normally if you feel comfortable as much as possible.

If your symptoms'll persist then consult your doctor.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.