Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

8 days ago I had a rubberband litigaton on a first grade

8 days ago I had a rubberband litigaton on a first grade hemorrhoid. I had pain on the first day and small amount of blood on day 2 and 6. I planned to fly to Europe tomorrow and now read in this forum that there can be life-threatening bleeding 10-14 days after the treatment.
I called my doc and he said that there is no risk and I can fly to Europe, however I am worried now that it will start bleeding just over the Atlantic with no possible emergency treatment.
Can anybody estimate how real the risk is ? Is my doc right, is there really no risk ? Should I take my trip ? Can I avoid the risk by not going to the toilet during the flight ? What is your advise ?
Welcome and thanks for your question, Your doctor is right ,there is no need to be worried , You can fly tomorrow.
Avoid taking aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen or Naproxen ,drink plenty of fluids ( at least 8 glasses of water per day ) ,avoid spicy foods and eat a lot of fiber like fruits and vegetables .
For most patients ,the bleeding occurs during the first week when the hemorrhoid falls off . After that period of time , if there is any bleeding is minimal ,very light and not life threatening .
So do not worry , You can enjoy your trip .
Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.
Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !
When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you think the pressure difference in the airplane will matter ? I have the fear that being 8 hours in the airplane while travelling from the U.S. to Europe with low-pressure in the airplane might cause the wound to open ?

The airplane cabin pressure could affect when the patient has major chest or abdominal surgery , in that case , You would recommend the patient to avoid traveling the first 10 days after surgery .
But in minor surgical procedures like the one you have , there is not problem and the pressure will not affect you at all .