Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Today after work I obsessed again about the steering wheel

and buttons on the dash...
today after work I obsessed again about the steering wheel and buttons on the dash board and it took my a half hour to get out of my car. I kept telling myself this does not affect my heart although my heart was racing a bit from anxiety. Did this do any damage when I finally touched the steering wheel one last time before I closed the door by leaning over?
12/9/2012
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Hello Kevin,

No, this is unlikely to damage the heart. Please do not get anxious.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

so I should not worry about the heart in this kind of OCD behavior which I am trying to overcome? thank you for your help

You are welcome.

No, you should not worry about the heart in this kind of behaviour.

I passed my stress test today on the treadmill made it to 6 minutes on a fast incline then I stopped because I hit my target heart rate.
I met with my psychiatrist and he increased my medications to battle the OCD and depression.
My question behind the root of these OCD obsessions is fixating on an object like I was in the pet store looking at a rabbit statue on a cage, when I walked away from it I became worried it was no longer in my view but I did not walk all the way back to look at it a third time so as to put a limit on my OCD. This doesn't affect the nervous system aside from anxiety also should I in future instances not keep looking at it and move away quickly like I am doing with steering wheel when getting out of the car?

Hello Kevin,

OCD activities do not affect the nervous system or heart or any organ system. It affects the psychology or mind. Yes, the best approach is to move away quickly as you are doing. You have developed good approach to handle it.

I appreciate your help Dr. Arun. Today I had a bad time with OCD touching things at work. Like for instance I would place down a tray of meat then lean over in counter and touch the side of the pan and my heart rate would feel like its gone up. Also when I throw cardboard into garbage dumpster I have a tendency to keep pushing it down or touching it so many times but I am trying very hard to not keep repeating the action. Even if the thoughts about the heart being affect occur during these OCD actions nothing can happen internally even though I may get anxious? Thank you Doctor for your patience with me. My psychiatrist has increased my medicine to 200 mg of Zoloft and 1 mg resperidone twice a day and Xanax .5 twice a day for anxiety along with my weekly CBT. Is our heart's electrical system that powerful that I should not worry about it in these situations?

Kevin,

These are just thoughts, but these actions do not affect the heart. Heart and its electrical system are very strong, and would not have adverse effect on it with these movements and actions.

thank you again Doctor and would it be better if I immediately changed my thinking pattern to something else when these thoughts occur?

You are most welcome.

Yes, Kevin, once you change the thinking pattern, you would get better immediately.

I forgot to ask about my high pulse rate the last couple weeks although I have been under extreme stress and anxiety/OCD. If my doctor said all was fine with exercise stress test then should I not worry about it? Also can any movement involving tensing around your chest muscles affect heart?

I sincerely ***** ***** your help Doctor.

Welcome, Kevin.

You need not worry once your doctor mentioned that everything is fine. Doctors always work on the highly cautionary side. Muscles around the chest would not affect heart as heart is very deep so tensing of these muscles do not play any role on heart.

I would appreciate an excellent rating. You may continue the conversation after the rating too, if you wish.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

My lipids/cholesterol numbers came back good, my coronary calcium study score was number 1 and I passed the exercise stress test. Aside from a fast pulse rate from anxiety do you think I need to get another opinion from a cardiologist on my own or should I just focus on losing weight and getting back in shape? I am working with my CBT therapist for the OCD. I had an issue today while I was lifting a box on a shelf in the freezer my heart was beating fast then I became anxious and lifted it quickly again and felt pulse in my neck. Does that do any harm to heart or by any other similar lifting actions or is this just my anxiety?

Kevin,

A second opinion from the cardiologist is not needed in your case. A weight reduction is likely help and reduce the risk of adverse heart event in long term. The activity you mentioned do not harm the heart.

Hello Doctor I had more anxiety problems today especially when they entailed physical exertion. The first one involved lifting hams and turkeys on to a shelf and the other was liftting and setting down 50 pound meat buckets. My fear and anxiety is that doing this somehow affects the heart negatively? Also even I have the tendency to hesitate lowering a plate on the microwave plater because I fear if it covers the center part it will affect my heart? These get very frustrating and I keep getting stuck in these OCD situations. How well is the heart protected and its electrical system from any kind of physical movements that I have OCD issues with to reassure myself that my heart will not be harmed? thank you for helping me Doctor

The activities you listed are not going to harm heart. Microwave would not affect the heart. Heart and its electrical system are very well protected from any physical movements. You see the athletes and sport man and weight lifters do anything and everything without affecting their heart.

Is it the cells in our heart which conduct the electricity to make it beat so as not to worry about any OCD actions or thoughts affecting the heart? Thanks for your patience with me I am really having a hard time with this.

Also will muscle strain in chest affect heart from lifting because I am out of shape?

Muscles in chest do not affect the heart. These OCD actions you described; do not affect the heart, the cells and electrical system. As a matter of fact they may help the heart.

Can you explain how they may help heart? also since the heart is involuntary muscle I don't have to consciously worry about how it is working since the electrical cells do the work?

Any kin d of physical activity and exercises help heart. Yes, it is involuntary muscle so won't be affected.

after having all these tests is it necessary to have an echocardiogram ultrasound of heart if stress test was normal, blood work up and calcium coronary study?

No nothing is required.

I really need your help this morning doctor I can't seem to keep touching the knob on my shower faucet because I fear if I let go of it a certain way it will affect my heart? can you help get over this?

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)