How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Josh Your Own Question
Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 5211
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Josh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have intermittent but chronic stabbing pain in the area of

This answer was rated:

I have intermittent but chronic stabbing pain in the area of my left third and fourth rib
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Have you tried any medications?
Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?
How would you rate the pain on a grade of 1 to 10
Is pain localized or radiating to shoulder/arm?
Do you have any other associated symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no meds

lots of stress




Thanks for quick input.

It can be due to Costochondritis. It is an inflammation of the cartilage joining ribs to chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes the sharp chest pains inside the chest wall. Nerve can be compressed due to inflamed cartilage.
Other possibility is- Myofascial trigger point, It is a
hyper-irritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on touch.

To treat this condition doctor advise for medications. These are-
-Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like- Motrin, Naproxen ,Aleve.
-Antidepressants, specifically tricyclic antidepressants, are very helpful.
-Muscle relaxants, are also very helpful in such cases.

Also your doctor can advise for Chest X-ray/EKG to rule out any other possibility.
Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.

If you have any further query then please feel free to ask.
Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me –
I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best wishes

Dr. Josh and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions