Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

i have all ready ask a question ??? i am a male 58 and for

i have all ready ask a question ??? i am a male 58 and for some weeks have been having problems with a foul sulpha taste and smell,if i eat any think omg it is terreble i have seen my gp who sent me for blood tests then gave me antibiotics for an infection but never said what infection.i have had a tooth infection but i dont thik he knew realy need help badly please.
Greetings.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for very long.

Dysgeusia is a condition in which the taste of mouth changes to abnormal and there may be abnormal smell too.

Causes include --

Fluctuation in hormonal Levels
Gastritis
Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Heartburn
Jaundice
Medications like Antibiotics, Vitamins and Antidepressants
Postnasal Drip

The reason for the abnormal taste and smell need to be ascertained by the physical examination, although the causes are never very significant but needs attention. Following needs to be looked for;

1) Post nasal drip
2) Sinus infections
3) Peridontal disease:dental infections/diseases
4) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
5) Alcohol and caffeine drinks which makes one dehydrated and thus this sensation
6) If you smoke this is a possibility
7) Medications; the side effects can appear anytime

Drinking fluids and avoiding the caffeine and alcohol drinks is the first step of the management.

Examination by an ENT specialist and a dental surgeon is the second step to look for the cause. Inadequate saliva secretion, which can happen due to medications or because of lack of adequate fluids can also be responsible.

But it is never anything very serious (although annoying), so you should not be worried.

With symptoms aggravating on food intake GERD is very likely. This is treated as following;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the be by 8 inches.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.