Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I was cleaning out the basement and came across some old

batteries. I noticed powdery...
I was cleaning out the basement and came across some old batteries. I noticed powdery corrosion and some i think got on my fingers. I washed my hands afterword, but i was wondering what it was and how dangerous or poisonous it is. Thanks. They were AAA batteries and the powder seemed to be light blue in color.
12/2/2012
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

hello? did you answer? if so I didnt see it.

Thanks for your question.
The AAA battery may contain acid or alkali powder.
Sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid are the common ones.
If you washed your hand well, then there is nothing to be worried about.
These acids are strongly corrosive and can burn your mouth and throat if ingested orally.
Otherwise, there is no other health effect just by skin exposure.
Best wishes

hmm how do I know I have cleaned it all? Do I have to worry about accidentally getting in my mouth or eyes? Is it deadly poison besides skin burns?

Not a deadly poison.
Since you do not have any symptoms yet, You should not worry.

do you believe the symptoms would occur quickly? What time frame? Thanks

within an hour of exposure.
Without any symptoms within an hours, you have no reason to worry about.

Would the symptoms be serious enough where I would clearly notice them? I do feel a slight sore throat, but maybe its unrelated or in my head.

you will clearly notice them and would have been much sicker.
No, slight sore throat is not related.
Best wishes
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist